PhotoshopForums.com Home
Navigate Contact FAQ Search Members
New to photoshop, please help...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Tools and Panels
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Please contact us.

Denzil

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:10 am    Post subject: New to photoshop, please help... Reply with quote

Hi guys,

New to the forum and photoshop. I am busy designing labels for my products but can't seem to get the colour I want for my logo. I know this must be very easy for you guys, but I am a complete newbie when it comes to photoshop. The logo starts with red then fades into black. I would like to change the logo so the red is say blue or green, orange etc. but still fades into black the same way just with a different colour.

Hope you guys can help.

Thanks in advance!

Medusa Logo High Res.jpg
 Description:
Here is an example
 Filesize:  100.27 KB
 Viewed:  767 Time(s)

Medusa Logo High Res.jpg

jerryb4417

PS Version: photoshop cs5

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi,
different ways to go about it and this is just one way...

1. dup orginal layer, something i always do...

2. then make a selection of theoctopus ...
note: as you add layers you should still keep see the dancing ants after this..
3. add blank layer..

4. now fill in the selection the color of choice.....let say blue..

5. now add another blank layer and now apply your gradient , to the selection and change the blend to multply or darken ...which ever you like best..
note: you may want to cycle thru all the blend modes just to see the effects..

note: tip on cycling-- click the blend mode and then you can easily use the arrow keys to cycle thru all of them... whole lot easier and faster than one at a time...

and that basically it...

now this way will allow you to easily change the color either completely replacing the color or use the hue and saturation to change

thehermit

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crtl+U or use a hue/sat adjustment layer.

Denzil

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jerry,

Thanks so much for your reply. When I select gradient and darken then ok nothing happens on the screen, it's still a blue block. Geez this is frustrating lol.

Denzil

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks thehermit, much appreciated. I forgot to mention that I'm busy designing the labels on illustrator and I have decided on set colours i.e the one colour is green cyan 85%, magneta 10%, yellow 100% etc. how would I select the exact colour. Sorry for all the questions guys, just stuck and don't know what to do..

thehermit

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pick your chosen gradient colours and draw a gradient vertically, change the layer blend mode to Hue.

Hue.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  95.88 KB
 Viewed:  745 Time(s)

Hue.jpg

Denzil

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is as far as I could get, did the gradient but it just shows as a square with fading into black. How do I get the block out of the way to see the picture with the added green gradient. Thanks for the help so far guys, at least I'm getting somewhere..

Capture.JPG
 Description:
Here is a screenshot of where I currently am.
 Filesize:  117.33 KB
 Viewed:  735 Time(s)

Capture.JPG

Denzil

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I managed to figure something out.. I got the colour correct when I fill, see attached pic, but when I click ok then hue the picture comes out how I want to but the green is darker than chosen colour, see next pic. What am I doing wrong? Gonna pull my hair out...

Capture.JPG 2.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  114.76 KB
 Viewed:  732 Time(s)

Capture.JPG 2.JPG

Denzil

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After above screenshot I draw a vertical gradient over the pic then click hue on the right. This gives me this result.. How do I get the green the same as in the fill square?

Capture.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  150.21 KB
 Viewed:  730 Time(s)

Capture.JPG

jerryb4417

PS Version: photoshop cs5

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi denzil,

""""""Hi Jerry,

Thanks so much for your reply. When I select gradient and darken then ok nothing happens on the screen, it's still a blue block. Geez this is frustrating lol.
"""""""""""

believe at first things can be fustrating i have been there but once that light bulb lights up you really how simple and wonder to your self how did miss it...lol ... been there many times..... smiling...

I have included a attachment , that shows the layer pallette which i think will help you, that I hope will explain how i did it... now keep in mind there different ways go about to do the same thing and it will depend on the image and your work on which is best and some time alittle experimenting is required... anyway here we go again.....
basically be repeating what outlined before but a little wy of explaining and putting alittle more details..
1. i took your oringinal and imade selection (dancing ants)
a. i saved the selection (the dancing ants) by going to select>save , just in case i need to bring it up save work or recreating it if you lose it....
b. I then added a new layer!! on this new layer you should still see the dancing ants!! just that every thing is blank (transparent)
2. then i chose a color and use the paint bucke to fill in the selection, and named that the blue layer.... now also repeated that and made green color fille just to show you can have different colors and it just a matter which one is off or on.......
3. now again i made another blannk layer, and again all you see is just the dancing ants.....
4. at this point i applie a gradient which applies only to the inside of the selection ... now at first it will see maybe that it lookslike just blk and wht .....

5. at this point, on the gradient layer, you use the layer blends to combine the two active layers... in this case it the green color fill and the gradient layer.... now here you may need to experiment with the different blend modes but i think in this case the "multiply" give a better color in this case and what you see now is your final results...

notes;
a. i added , a hue and saturation layer ... but it turned off... but it was to shows you could also use it instead of adding seperate multible color layers for each color you want..... but i am more comfortable with the way i did it... for you what ever works best ... and for your workflow...

b. although i don't show it you could have use a mask to acommplish the same thing ..

example1layer-pallet.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  190.42 KB
 Viewed:  726 Time(s)

example1layer-pallet.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Tools and Panels All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: