PhotoshopForums.com Home
Navigate Contact FAQ Search Members
Trying to fine-tune gradient transition
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> General Photoshop and Design Discussion
 See a User Guidelines violation? Please contact us.

Wimbledon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:22 am    Post subject: Trying to fine-tune gradient transition Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

I am trying to learn how to create in Photoshop CS4 the gradient fade at the bottom of the following image:

My approach is to create a transparent box with a linear gradient fade to transparent. I will then overlay this box on any image I want to apply the fade effect to. In this case I would like to apply a transparent-to-white fade rather than the transparent-to-black fade on the example image.

I tried using the following settings with the gradient tool (top right selector settings shown):

Which resulted in this:

As you can see, the gradient does not "blend" into my image quite like the example. It looks like the example may even have a bit of a curve to it as well.

Given my attempt, what should I do to achieve the right effect?

Thank you.

Auieos

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ill take a guess and say your visible edge is being caused by the middle white marker on the bottom row.

Anyway better way to do it...

Create a layer filled with white.
Then add a layer mask to this layer.
Then, with layer mask selected, use the gradient tool on the bottom of this layer.
You may need to 'Image > Adjust > Invert' the mask.

carcar2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  63.63 KB
 Viewed:  267 Time(s)

carcar2.jpg

Wimbledon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for your reply. Removing that white marker was helpful, and definitely improved the fade.

Your masking method was helpful as well - although I believe I found an easier way to tailor the look I desired.

I made a rectangle the size I wanted, applied a layer mask, and then played with the Gaussian Blur filter (25px blur). I prefer this method as it really allows me to play with the transition depending on the px of the blur.

Thanks again!

Auieos

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No worries, its good to have your own technique, thanks for sharing it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> General Photoshop and Design Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: