PhotoshopForums.com Home
Navigate Contact FAQ Search Members
Resizing Images (Avatars in particular)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> General Photoshop and Design Discussion
 See a User Guidelines violation? Please contact us.

BuzWeaver

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 5:38 pm    Post subject: Resizing Images (Avatars in particular) Reply with quote

On some sites they require that your avatar be 80x80 or 90x90 in dimension, however the size has to be 19.5kb in size. The problem I'm having is getting the size to 19.5kb or lower without distorting the image.

For example, I like to use my photoshoped avatar:

This is 90x68 in dimension, however the size is 24.6kb. Is there anyway I can change the size without distorting the images. To get it to 19.5k by adjusting the dimension defeats the whole purpose as you can't even read the BuzWeaver. Any suggestions?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Mr_Omen

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Save as>select JPEG>move quality slider to the left until the target size at the bottom is where you want it.

buzweaverfysmallfile.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  17.17 KB
 Viewed:  474 Time(s)

buzweaverfysmallfile.jpg

BuzWeaver

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is strange, it still doesn't seem to work:

In this Image I have sized the dimensions to 90x68 as you have done in the sample image, as you can see it's indicating 5.4kb. I assume by moving the quality slider the number changes, however if its showing 5.4kb, then its already within the limit.

I can move the quality slider, however its a shot in the dark at this point. So with 5.4kb being indicated (I used the slider down to 4.7) I save it and this is the property size its indicating:

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Mr_Omen

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other option:

Click Save for Web

Click the arrow above "optimized"

Select Optimize to file size

Type in the target size

This should do it for ya.

The first method I gave you is not exact. The ~ before the size means "approximate".

~O

imagesize.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  57.39 KB
 Viewed:  457 Time(s)

imagesize.jpg

BuzWeaver

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see what you are saying and I found the setting, though mine looks like this, my arrow is above the Lossy:

Thanks a lot for your help and resizing the image, its much appreciated. It took a little more finagling in the settings but I got it to work, to an extent. I'll have to play around with the settings a little more though.

Mr_Omen

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem dude, hope I could help. I have PS 7 so you must have newer.

~O

Atlas

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try uploading the file onto an image hosting website. Try filefront.com or www.imageshack.us (<= that is the best).

BuzWeaver

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Atlas wrote:
Try uploading the file onto an image hosting website. Try filefront.com or www.imageshack.us (<= that is the best).

I've been using Imashack for about three years now, my main concern was simply resizing as some forums only allow a 19.5kb file size. Most forums now aren't as strict, however I'll join one from time to time that uses the older format.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> General Photoshop and Design Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: