PhotoshopForums.com Home
Navigate Contact FAQ Search Members
Eraser tool problem - draws like a paintbrush
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Tools and Panels
 See a User Guidelines violation? Please contact us.

NikariJamko

PS Version: CS5.5

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:41 am    Post subject: Eraser tool problem - draws like a paintbrush Reply with quote

I was halfway through a drawing when I decided to erase part of it to re-draw. I hit "e" on my keyboard, began stroking and realized that my "eraser" tool just painted on my drawing and it won't erase whatsoever.

I don't know what else I can do, I've already restarted Photoshop and reset all the tools but it's still drawing, the only thing I can really do is set the color to white and do it that way, but when I'm using multiple layers, that won't work.

All the other tools work fine (even the magic eraser and background eraser), but my eraser just suddenly decided it wants to be a paintbrush.

The screenshot was what I "drew" with my eraser, and to show you guys that it has brush options next to the eraser icon.

noterasing.PNG
 Description:
 Filesize:  37.65 KB
 Viewed:  4825 Time(s)

noterasing.PNG

Auieos

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All i can think of is that when your on the background layer it uses the background color to 'erase'.
Sound like it's happening on layers too but you don't specifically say that in your description so will hold off investigating further until you reply..

Rarity

PS Version: CS6

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Auieos wrote:
All i can think of is that when your on the background layer it uses the background color to 'erase'.
Sound like it's happening on layers too but you don't specifically say that in your description so will hold off investigating further until you reply..

^ This here popped an idea in my head that was worth testing.

If you have a background layer, it's locked by default, therefore it will not be erasable resulting in Photoshop to 'paint' with your background colour. Double clicking the lock will unlock the layer and enable you to actually erase parts and make them transparent.

Same thing goes for layers above as well. At the top of the layers panel you have 4 lock switches. An all purpose lock to the far right, which would prevent any editing of the layer, a movement lock left of that preventing movement, the brushlock which will disable the edit-ability of the contents of your layer and finally the transparency lock.

The far left, then transparency lock - which really finds its full usefulness in some digital painting techniques - locks as its name implies the transparency of the layer, meaning you won't be able to add new pixels where the layer is transparent. This seems to work the other way around too, not being able where there are pixels. This results, just like on the background layer as Auieos said, in painting with the background colour.

thehermit

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. Not useful for me, but certainly interesting - Nice work Sherlocks!

Auieos

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one Rarity. The more you know.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Tools and Panels All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: