PhotoshopForums.com Home
Navigate Contact FAQ Search Members
sRGB for non wide-gamut display??
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Photography
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Please contact us.

TimCee

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:44 am    Post subject: sRGB for non wide-gamut display?? Reply with quote

hi we recently got new monitor for family computer - a Crossover from Korea. It is non wide-gamut. In the future i will buy a specific monitor for design/photography but in the meantime I wanted to know -

1. Do I have to use sRGB now I am on a non wide-gamut monitor as opposed to AdobeRGB etc.?

2. What colour settings are people using in the UK for sRGB?

Even though we now own a normal gamut monitor I still want optimal settings for editing photos as that will be the main use for computer.

Thanks in advance for any help :)

thehermit

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really kind of depends on where you are going with this. It is assumed that you will be viewing sRGB. Most people choose to edit in AdobeRGB because it is a larger colour space, for this reason I tend to edit all my RAW files in ProPhoto RGB as this has the largest gamut of the available colour spaces. It can present some obvious issues when converting to other colour spaces, but if you proof before printing it will pick up any issues.

TimCee

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thehermit wrote:
Most people choose to edit in AdobeRGB because it is a larger colour space, for this reason I tend to edit all my RAW files in ProPhoto RGB as this has the largest gamut of the available colour spaces.

Thanks for your reply so I assume you have a wide-gamut monitor then? If it wasn't wide gamut would you shoot sRGB? Thanks again :)

thehermit

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do have a wide gamut display, but even if I didn't have, most monitors don't accurately display sRGB (some do, but they will specify). However you should choose to shoot in RAW and probably a minimum of RGB colour space and as I say edit in ProPhoto or AdobeRGB as you want to retain as much colour information as possible. Even if your monitor can't display the colours, it is better to retain as much of that info as possible.

Scan through Andrew Rodney's Digital Dog site he is my go to guy for all colour management issues, he beats Dan Margulis in to a cocked hat for knowledge.

TimCee

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much I'll look at that after work looks just what I need!!

So you think I should keep to my existing settings which are -

Shoot in RAW AdobeRGB (i have a Canon 650D)

Colour space in Photoshop is AdobeRGB

Save a Hi Res Version in AdobeRGB - PSD & TIFF

Then convert an sRGB version for the web with sharpening etc ??

thehermit

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again.

I didn't mean to give the impression that RAW has a colour space, it does not, but inevitably you will be taking it in to a RAW converter and then choosing your colour space. And yes, apart from where I would choose ProPhoto, always convert the image to sRGB if saving for the web (or in truth a lot of output is standardised to sRGB these days).

Having said that defer to the link and his info if it differs from my ramblings ;)

TimCee

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks the hermit! I'm with you now. You're saying you edit in ProPhoto rather than AdobeRGB and then convert to sRGB for web? I use Photoshop Raw converter not Lightroom. I know lightroom likes prophoto. Is ProPhoto considered better than AdobeRGB nowadays then? Is it just coz it's the biggest colour space? Sorry I'm asking even more questions lol!!

Thanks again Big Grin

thehermit

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't use Lightroom either I use the Adobe RAW converter or Capture One - and yes ProPhoto is a much larger colour space then RGB, Here's another link to demonstrate the differences.

I could plot the difference in ColourThink, but that may be a little extreme ;)

TimCee

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your help 'the hermit'. My computer died last week hence so no reply sorry. Thank you for the Andrew Rodney link been reading this morning and has really helped :)

TimCee

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this thread is over but i have another quick question :) I am now using Prophoto rgb and was wandering what other settings i should use in the colour settings menu - CMYK, Gray and Spot. I just want general settings as i dont have a specific printing lab I use or anything. Also I'm in the UK

Thanks for any help :)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Photography All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: