PhotoshopForums.com Home
Navigate Contact FAQ Search Members
space art
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Design and Graphic Reviews
 See a User Guidelines violation? Please contact us.

ronmatt

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:30 pm    Post subject: space art Reply with quote

tried shadow's method using a piece of rusted metal as the texture.

The name is proximity

http://ronmatt.deviantart.com/gallery

Datameister

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the texturing. I'd like to provide some constructive comments. First, the background is a little ambiguous; it looks a little like daytime sky. You may want to make it blacker, and perhaps add distant stars. Second, avoid unaltered Lens Flares. If you use Lens Flares, use Radial Blur or something to eliminate those artifacts. Third, the lighting on the planets needs work. It's important to think in terms of 3D space. You have two suns in this piece, both of which are behind the planets. Yet the planets are illuminated from a source behind and to the right of the camera. It's somewhat conceivable that there would be another star there, but the viewer has no way of knowing that. Generally, if you're doing the eclipse thing, you want your planets to be very dark.

A couple of smaller notes, too--it looks like you used the Spherize filter with a negative value on the medium-sized planet; and the planets' atmosphere layers are offset towards the right.

Despite my criticism, I like this piece a lot. The way I see it, the more constructive criticism, the more your future work will be even MORE awesome. Keep up the good work!

ronmatt

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I certainly appreciate the comments and will pay heed to them. This space art thing is new to me and I think I'm going to enjoy it. Give me a while to work out the bugs and add comments as I go, please. I will master this.

Jersey Hacker

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the piece alot, but i think there is far too much light, and the light thats there, is in the wrong place, and some of the shadowing is kinda wrong, but apart from that, i like it alot, the texture you used isnt too bad, and makes a good effect for planets, and as datameister said, dont use un-altered lens flares, as they look wrong, especially in the middle of space scene, but if you work on the lighting and shadowing, youll end up being a master of space art!

Keep up the good work!

Free File Uploader for Everyone to use
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

ronmatt

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/4804/night7cv.jpg

I really don't have any interest of creating 'just another view of space'
I'm more interested in 'alien environments' (like California)
So what I'm going to do here is begin in greyscale so as not to confuse the composition with color. Once I have the feel for the compo, I'll start addidn color, as well as size. Critiques please. (this is like being back in school, I love it) Oh yeah, I forgot to crop it.

Datameister

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm more interested in 'alien environments' (like California)

LOL It's so true, isn't it? I'm from the Bay Area.

I can relate to your frustration with plain old views of space. These are way overdone, and even when done with EXTRAORDINARY skill, they usually end up looking like more space art. Not always, but often. The ones that really stand out are the ones that offer a unique element--a storyline, or a different viewpoint, or something totally alien yet pleasing to the eye, or whatever.

As far as composition goes, I like this piece. I can't really tell what's going on in the left side; are those mountains? The perspective is a little messed up in that area, too. The horizon looks a little funky; take care with brightness changes in the horizon area. Like I said, though, the composition is good.

ronmatt

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

workin' on it. I'm from L.A. myself. Actually Pasadena, (which is cool) But talk about alien. I should be a natural with this stuff. My next one I'll put some time and thought into. [ live long and prosper, baby]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Design and Graphic Reviews All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: