PhotoshopForums.com Home
Navigate Contact FAQ Search Members
Selection Tool ??? = make low resolution selections smooth.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Tools and Panels
 See a User Guidelines violation? Please contact us.

DapperGraphics

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:23 pm    Post subject: Selection Tool ??? = make low resolution selections smooth. Reply with quote

I've been a user of Photoshop since CS2 and I swear it is the simplest things that seem to elude me. Ok here is my question:

Take for instance a simple black and white image of, let's say a apple. Black apple on white background. But the problem is the resolution is crappy, so when I resize it it's all jagged. I want to make a selection, and cut it away from the white, but I want the selection to be smooth. It seems there should be a very simple way to perform this with out the time consumption of recreating the image with the pen tool.

CS5 USER
Confused

Rarity

PS Version: CS6

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's two thigs here: resizing without quality loss, hardly possible for non vectors so yes here you should recreate the image.

For simple, or simpler, selections where you wouldn use the pentool but either the MW or QS tools, you can smoothen the edge via refine edge, just play around with smoother (not my favourite) or feather and contrast. This should make the edges smoother and allow (minimal) enlargement without too much loss of quality.

DapperGraphics

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. I definitely don't feel as bad now. I just felt like I was doing a lot of extra unneeded work. Glad to see that was not the case.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Tools and Panels All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: