PhotoshopForums.com Home
Navigate Contact FAQ Search Members
Scaling multiple items
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Tools and Panels
 See a User Guidelines violation? Please contact us.

jacksocket

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:49 am    Post subject: Scaling multiple items Reply with quote

I really need some help with this now....
What I'm trying to achieve is -: a background map which has a number (lots) of locations labelled. Unfortunately the labels are fixed in size and were partly covered by the site symbol marker. I've split the labels from the map (at source ) so have separate layers for these. I was then able to create a white buffer 'halo' around each label so the site name is visible over its symbol. However when printing the map, due to the size (A0) the site names are tiny and only readable with a magnifier. [resolution on HP plotter is impressive].
I've tried re-selected the site names layer and using the magic wand to isolate the halo areas from the background, then using the scale tool to grow the selection. Unfortunately this pushes the sites at the edge off the map... What I need is for the scale tool to grow each item separately on its own centre point and not from the centre point of the group selection.
I've tried a number of ways but to do this but I've now run out of ideas - indeed it may not be possible .... can anyone advise please...
Many thanks for reading this and any help would be appreciated.

Frank1263

PS Version: CS6

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jacksocket, welcome to the forums.

Although you've explained what your problem is in great detail I'm still not really sure what you mean. Could you post a screenshot?

jacksocket

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Frank,
As you requested, I have created some storyboard type screenshots to help describe my enquiry. I hope this makes sense!
Attachment A;
image 1 this shows a small part of a quite large tif file which has the location names.
Image 2 shows the names close up and
image 3 shows the names with ‘halo’ buffer over the map. Without the halo the name is unreadable, so this bit is partly successful if used in an electronic viewer. However when printed the name is tiny due to the map size.
Attachment B;
Image 4 shows what happens on the edge of the map when the names are selected(magic wand) and buffered to give a halo then,
Image 5 inverted to select the name and not the surroundings, then
Image6 transform/scale . This example was scaled to 110% and you can see how the item near the edge is pushed from its actual location and off the map edge. Clearly messing up the mapping registration. One name label selected individually can be scaled successfully – but I am not keen on doing this to literally hundreds of separate names over the map.
Attachment D;
The best analogy I can think of is – items selected in MS Powerpoint can be scaled simultaneously from their own individual origin.
I think I’m looking for a filter / plugin or technique to ‘explode’ or ‘enlarge’ the selection but to do it cantered on each item.

Once again any help here would be appreciated.
Kind Regards,

C - powerpoint analogy.jpg
 Description:
C - Powerpoint analogy
 Filesize:  40.45 KB
 Viewed:  731 Time(s)

C - powerpoint analogy.jpg

B -multi selection off the map.jpg
 Description:
B - Selection pushed off the edge
 Filesize:  23.72 KB

B  -multi selection off the map.jpg

A - buffering works.jpg
 Description:
A - Buffering works
 Filesize:  56.04 KB

A -  buffering works.jpg

jacksocket

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think following the number of views on this item with no replies, either I have not explained the task very well or there is no simple solution.
thanks to all for taking the trouble to look.
I suspect I will have to scale each item separately and just hope I dont miss one !

Auieos

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Illustrator has the function you want, its called transform each.
Photoshop however Confused
Something like this is probably as close as your going to get to it.
http://www.photoshopessentials.com/photoshop-text/text-effects/flip-rotate-scale-letters/

jacksocket

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, and thanks for the reply - I shall look into this possible solution - although not entirely sure this will solve the problem as the name items are just pixels on a tiff file and not text / actual font items.
but I will certainly give it a try.

thanks again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Tools and Panels All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: