PhotoshopForums.com Home
Navigate Contact FAQ Search Members
Really need some help regarding Magic Eraser/Layers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Tools and Panels
 See a User Guidelines violation? Please contact us.

onesevent33n

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:53 am    Post subject: Really need some help regarding Magic Eraser/Layers Reply with quote

Hello! Im posting this because I'm absolutely stumped on how to incorporate a certain technique trying to create an image and was hoping one of you experts could guide me in the right direction..

In short, I am trying to use paint effects over an image (i.e.: pop art paint splash type effects) AND "protect" certain parts of the image from being effected by the paint. An analogy to physical painting would be like I'm trying to splash paint over a poster while taping over certain areas throughout the poster so the paint doesn't touch those parts.

I hope that makes sense? I'm sorry, I'm a novice with this stuff so I'mnot quite keen on terminology.

Anyways, I've tried lowering the opacity and all that does it give the image a watered down look. I then tried using the magic eraser in an effort to "temporarily erase" the parts I didn't want to be effected by the splash paint brush, followed by putting a layer of the entire color that I erased (to protect) on a new image layer under the image I was working on and that didn't really workout too well either.

I am really having a hard time as much as even finding a guidance resource for this and I'm pretty sure it's a simple process to a Photoshop Veteran which is why I'm reaching out for some help here.

ANY and ALL help would be GREATLY appreciated. Also, I am using the most current version of Photoshop Elements on a Mac running 10.8.3.

THANK YOU in advance for any help with me finally getting this right.

hawkeye

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to learn about layer masks.

Rarity

PS Version: CS6

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hawkeye wrote:
You need to learn about layer masks.

^This.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbhmWDQM4jA
This video might help you out on that in Elements.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Tools and Panels All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: