PhotoshopForums.com Home
Navigate Contact FAQ Search Members
Really need help resizing a photo! : [
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Photography
 See a User Guidelines violation? Please contact us.

deviantdigi

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:14 am    Post subject: Really need help resizing a photo! : [ Reply with quote

Hello,
A close friend of mind is holding a banner contest. The goal is to make a appealing banner Magic the Gathering (card game) related. I made a custom Magic The Gathering card of him, to incorporate into the banner itself.

Banner [ ] + card pic= kickass

BUT!. I haven't gotten to the banner itself just yet. . The issue is I made/crafted the card image too large. 250 pixels x 350 pixels. The contest requirements is 640x125. I'm not goof at understanding dimensions an pixels But I can't downsize the card image and still have the text easily readable. After all, That's where all the value is.

I have read many Google tuts about image resizing large images and most suggest the bicubic sharper. Its not clear enough. It took me a while to make this and re doing all this work on a small scale just isn't going to happen. I need a solution.

Original card:
http://i44.tinypic.com/121pcwl.png

Here is the workspace space,the resized image on the right. The original on the left:
http://i42.tinypic.com/34t4mj4.png

Do I have any options?

Any advice is much appreciated, kinda desperate atm.
Deviantdigi :dodgy:

jerryb4417

PS Version: photoshop cs5

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi,
this is just to let you know someone looking at it...
what photoshop version you have???ndifferent version of ps has different features..

i got some ideas but need to experiement alitttle see how well they work out... get back to you...

jerryb4417

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi,
played around with it to see what might work now i have attachsample image with the banner 640x125 with the thumbnail size images on it...
to give a more visual info...

if you have cs4 or above there a feature called content aware resize this can help a lot in resizing with out too much distortion ...

but always keep in mind, when shrinking, your removing pixals and image will degrade if shrunk too much ...
and with text degragation can be even worse... so end up experimenting and finding just the right size....

trying to resize that whole image with the two people and text... to real small really distorted thing badly ... and you can see that in the far left image ... now the text not bad, i used content aware rescale, the normal resize looked bad ..

so thinking what you might want to look at is devide that one picture into 2 parts.., then resize them maybe a part on each end to wher you can have a image..
final note... when i had done the resize... the text was sort of blurry and faded... there, one of three things you can do... 1. a little edge sharpening, 2 or maybe a little shadow burnning, 3, or adjusting the contrast ..

deviantdigi

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you jeeryb,
Appreciate the advice. Also splitting the image is a great idea.
I'll have to play around with those tools and features and see what I can manage. And sorry, I'm using CS4 Win7 32 bit btw.

In order for this card pic to work on the 640x125 banner. It has to be placed in a position somewhat like in the picture below. So I don't know if this is going to work as the text would have to be much, much smaller than that of your edited pic.

Thanks again, : ]
Deviantdigi

jerryb4417

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi,
ah cs4 you have the content aware rescale..
is it tht important for the text to be readable or the full text needs to be seen....??

with that "card " being rotated i just don't see how that can be.. to fit the full text in, would result in it being unreadible... you could maby try reducing the number of words and lines...

now another idea but it depends onhow crucial it is for the that card to be rotated... and that lay the card out flat as if it been open (and not rotated) ... on the right side you would have just the text and on the left side of the card be the picture... and maybe to add a little realism to the fact it a card the left side have it have a "bend" in it
something like this tutorial shows
http://www.rnel.net/tutorial/Photoshop/1084

or maybe using a page curl effect where show what underneath....
http://www.dphotojournal.com/photoshop-tutorial-page-curl/

deviantdigi

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again with the tips, props. I couldn't seem to get the bend or curve to work with this small pic and still be somewhat clear. The displace and warp added a bit too much of blur.

Here is what I managed. Had to cut my loses, literally : P. I'm just glad I was able to use it. Not a complete waste of time and effort.

Greatly appreciate your help jerryb!

[i]edit: removed pics[/i]

Last edited by deviantdigi on Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:12 pm; edited 2 times in total

jerryb4417

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi,
I think you did pretty good job... I like the top one... it simple, artistic, uncluttered, tells the msg..

the bottom on, i don't know the contest rules and don't how the banner going to be used... so not sure if those extra words are that neccessary ..

overall i like what you did
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Photography All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: