PhotoshopForums.com Home
Navigate Contact FAQ Search Members
professional finishes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Design and Graphic Reviews
 See a User Guidelines violation? Please contact us.

oceanbeast

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:25 pm    Post subject: professional finishes Reply with quote

i am a graphic design student and one of my projects requires that i achieve a professional look to my design. i can do basic stuff but i dont know where to start, i just cant make my pictures look pro. any tips would be appreciated. here is an example of a piece im doing, please go easy on me but do be critical as it can only help me, i dont know many techniques to giving photos that "finished" look

hawkeye

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Looks professional" is a highly subjective open ended statement. I've seen many things done by the so-called professionals that I don't like at all.

I'd suggest that you study images you think look professional, then try to determine what it is about them.

Patrick
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard, oceanbeast. :) hawkeye is right, but I think you have an interesting concept here!

Patrick

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

oceanbeast

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

id just like it to look "finished", clean and almost frozen. my favorite photographer is gage young, www.gageyoung.com his images look still but are vibrant and have almost a magazine feel even onscreen. my images still look a fair bit "cheap", i know i dont have the best camera or stock photos but im sure there is something i can do to give them a more refined look i just dont know where to ask, and my professor is not the best instructor

ps- the wings are temp need to find good stock photos of wings

wave of light

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Small world, but your image is very similar to the current 'how to' on Photoshop monthly in the UK.

I think your image looks very good. But I'm with Hawkeye on this one, sometimes I look at stuff which is suppose to be 'professional' and I think it's rubbish. If you're happy with your work, then that should be enough. If your client is happy with your work, then you've done your job properly!

raz50

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what's not pro on this one? ;)

i'm also with hawkeye and wave.

oceanbeast

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for that RAZ, i just really like the way gage young www.gageyoung.com processes his pictures but i cant tell what it is about them, its mostly the unsaturated pastel qualityies that i love. '

shots like these
http://www.flickr.com/photos/gageyoungphotography/3326337421/in/set-72157614697182381/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/gageyoungphotography/3237781450/in/set-72157613044153381/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/gageyoungphotography/3246932339/in/set-72157613238572215/

raz50

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me those look like actual shots enhanced (nicely done though). Not comparable to a fantasy shop you made. I guess you want to make it more 'smooth' looking, right? Then i'd suggest to focus on the wings and cloud like thing above (don't know an english word for it, sorry about that).

Those look a bit rough compared to the girl and the city she's holding.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Design and Graphic Reviews All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: