PhotoshopForums.com Home
Navigate Contact FAQ Search Members
How do I scale just the center of an object w/o resizing?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Tools and Panels
 See a User Guidelines violation? Please contact us.

whitezombie455

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:41 pm    Post subject: How do I scale just the center of an object w/o resizing? Reply with quote

Hi there I am having an issue at the moment. I seem to have forgotten how to scale just the center of an object. I have a picture frame and it is too thick but I can't seem to remember how to make the frame thinner without decreasing the size of the frame. Currently the frame is 1280x1280 and it is around 40 pixels thick (estimated) and I would like it to be only 20 pixels thick. Any help?

Last edited by whitezombie455 on Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

whitezombie455

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump......

Rarity

PS Version: CS6

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you provide a picture as I'm not really sure on what you want done based on your description.

Also, is the frame on its own layer?

whitezombie455

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rarity wrote:
Could you provide a picture as I'm not really sure on what you want done based on your description.

Also, is the frame on its own layer?

Okay so I am going to give you an example picture since I ended up clipping the frames (I would like a better solution than just clipping)... Okay so pretend this image is the picture frame I am using:

How would I make it so the "Black frame" is thinner without making the frame smaller/bigger in width or height???

And yeah the frame is on a separate layer and it is too thick... that is why I need to make it thinner.

thehermit

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make a square canvas larger than your image. Draw or input 50% guides horizontally and vertically. Import your image on to it's own layer, if you drag and drop, hold Shift to constrain to the centre of the document. Select a Square Marquee and using the guides draw out a square from the centre, constraining the Square Marquee by holding Alt + Shift. Delete.

whitezombie455

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thehermit wrote:
Make a square canvas larger than your image. Draw or input 50% guides horizontally and vertically. Import your image on to it's own layer, if you drag and drop, hold Shift to constrain to the centre of the document. Select a Square Marquee and using the guides draw out a square from the centre, constraining the Square Marquee by holding Alt + Shift. Delete.
Oh I was just using the above as an example not all my picture frames I am using are square so I would also like to know how to do this for non square picture frames... I will try what you suggested though for a square picture frame and see if it is what I was looking for. Thank you!

EDIT: Okay I tried what you said and I don't want to clip... I said that above lol... I want to resize from the center out without making the frame any larger/smaller in width/height... Like look at a picture frame you have now imagine the frame was thinner. Okay this is what I want to do make the frame thinner by resizing from the center out AKA making the see through part bigger. Now I would like this to work with square frames as well as rectangles.

Now what I was thinking was is there a way to have it so you make a selection and when you hold down a key you can resize the selection from the center out and it will "squish" pixels as it is resized.

Like what I would do is make a selection of the see through box in the center of the frame then I would down a key and when I resize that selection outwards it would push the pixels and if I resized it inwards it would pull the pixels inward... Does this exist???

whitezombie455

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump......

username18052

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These instructions are aimed at a Windows enabled machine using Photoshop CS5. (You gave none of that info.)

With the image open, create a new empty layer. Go to the Menu bar under View. Scroll down to Snap To and choose Layers. Click and hold on the left ruler and drag a guide to the center. It should snap to the center. Do the same from the top. In the tool panel (long skinny one) select the Rectangle Marquee tool. Holding Shift, draw a rectangle on the document an inch or so square. Shift will make it equilateral. Leaving it selected make sure the first icon on the left, there are four, directly under the words Edit and Image in the Menu bar is active. In the View menu, go to Snap To and select Guides. With the Rectangle tool still active, click inside of the active rectangle and snap it to the center of the guides by moving it with the cursor. Now, it should appear in the center of the black frame you posted.

Go to Select in the menu bar and choose Transform Selection. This will put a bounding box around the marching ants. Press and hold Shift and Alt. Drag any corner and the square will enlarge to the size as you drag. Let go at the point you prefer.

In the Layers panel, click on the layer with the black border. In the menu bar, click the Check mark to commit the transformation. With the marching ants still active, hit Delete on the keyboard. This will clear everything inside of the rectangle. If you have flattened the image so the border and the content are on the same layer, you will need to recreate the border on a layer of it's own and proceed from the beginning. The border has to be on a layer alone before you start this tutorial.

It appears that you posted this quite a while ago. I hope this tutorial is not too far out of date. I was bored today and decided to see if I could answer a few questions on this site.

By the way, I think' narrower' is the term, not 'thinner' as you said.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Tools and Panels All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: