PhotoshopForums.com Home
Navigate Contact FAQ Search Members
Resizing Images
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Tools and Panels
 See a User Guidelines violation? Please contact us.

tmcdonald

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:10 pm    Post subject: Resizing Images Reply with quote

Why is it when I put a PSD or JPG in another psd file that Im editing, when I free transform it down to a smaller size and click enter and then free transform it up it seems to have degraded. It appears when I downgrade it, it loses quality.

Thanks

Rarity

PS Version: CS6

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you size something down, Photoshop calculates and performs the sizing down of the image, the change is destructive (jargon) meaning when not reversible.

You can see this if you Free transform to let's say 50% x 50% of the original size, accept the transform and try to transform again, it will say 100% on both axis again on the top meaning the first transform is fully applied.

There is a way to work around this though. You will convert your object you want to size down (and you might want to scale up afterwards) to a smart object first (right click the layer > convert to smart object). If we now do the same Free Transform as I just described and try to free transform again, in stead of 100% it will now say 50%.
I'll have to give you a head up though; smart objects don't play nice with destructive changes.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Tools and Panels All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: