PhotoshopForums.com Home
Navigate Contact FAQ Search Members
Smart objects and image processing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Tools and Panels
 See a User Guidelines violation? Please contact us.

dkperez

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 3:32 pm    Post subject: Smart objects and image processing Reply with quote

I tried this over in the Adobe forum, but apparently I'm not getting it...

I'm trying to use smart objects and non-destructive editing practices.

Open an image (a dng file) as a smart object. create a layer for cloning and/or healing, a curves adjustment layer, maybe a hue/saturation layer, and do normal editing...

But, along the way I realize I sharpened the image in ACR before I opened it in PS, and I shouldn't have. AND, I decide it's too dark and want to change the exposure from -.3 to +.2. So, I edit the smart object in ACR and make those changes. So far so good.

Now I'd like to have my ORIGINAL .dng image reflect these changes. In another forum I was told to use the flyout menu in ACR and do a "Export settings to XMP". Doesn't appear to work. When I open the original .dng image in Bridge after doing the export, the exposure hasn't been changed. Does this not work on .dng files, or am I doing it wrong.

ALSO, same image... happily editing along. I decide I'd like to extend the canvas to give me a little more room on the background behind my subject... So, I extend the canvas, and select the extended area. I want to do a content-aware fill. How? If I select the smart object layer, the fill isn't available. If I select one of my OTHER layers, the fill doesn't work and tells me there aren't enough opaque pixels. So how, DO I do things like content-aware fill in this situation?

dkperez

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll put a reply in here to my own problem... Fortunately, one of the adults over in the Adobe forum stepped in and pointed me to where I needed to be so that I can now update my original source file from the ACR edit of the smart object... It's not a very interconnected solution - you have to manually tell it where to put stuff and all, but at least I can update changes...

Now I just have to figure out how to do some of the other stuff I seem to have problems with in smart objects...

Patrick
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing that, dkperez. Welcome to PF.

Patrick

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Tools and Panels All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: