PhotoshopForums.com Home
Navigate Contact FAQ Search Members
Dove Creates Action to Make Point About True Beauty
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Actions and Automation
 See a User Guidelines violation? Please contact us.

Patrick
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:04 pm    Post subject: Dove Creates Action to Make Point About True Beauty Reply with quote

http://www.bangstyle.com/2013/03/dove-undoes-photoshop-editing-for-true-beauty/

I was curious to hear what you thought of this? Was it a good tactic? A little underhanded?

Patrick

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

LensLily

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, maybe just a tad underhanded.

Last edited by LensLily on Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

Auieos

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clever yes. Maybe a bit underhanded but nothing too malicious.
While the way they went about this is new the whole real beauty argument from dove isn't. IMHO they are beating a dead horse.

thehermit

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to know the 'designers and retouchers' that would download such a hideous glow action! ;)

It does raise the whole debate in a fresh and modern way, but it raises it with the wrong people. Retouchers adjust the file to a brief, it's the art directors and commissioning editors that make the call. Of course we can't blame them either really, but how far down the road of reasons do we have to travel? Genetics? Culture? A hidden hegemony?

Iain

PS Version: CS6

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, interesting topic. I'm sitting on the fence with this one

I don't think Dove are being any more underhanded that the advertising chiefs who have for years, manipulated the consumers into believing that "this product" or "that brand" will make them more appealing to either themselves or the opposite sex, lets face it....if your average guy had a (manipulated) photo a woman advertising ...say...underwear and another "natural" photo of a slightly over weight woman advertising the same product, which one would you look at more?. Everone knows that 99% of the photos these days have been modified to portray a particular product in it's best light ie: if you are selling sports products you will obviously have a photo of a superfit person with perfect skin which would tend to suggest that "running in that brand of shoes" and "drinking that drink" will make me look like that. I have no doubt that those products have their benefits but they are limited. Either way, at the end of the day { i hate that phrase} it will be the consumers who decide which is best for them. If Dove generate enough publicity from this then they have already increased their presence in the market. Any publicity is good publicity......thats my 2 cents worth anyway....i'll get off my soapbox now Big Wink ...I agree with thehermit..........that glow effect needs some work Big Wink

LensLily

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will agree with that.

Rarity

PS Version: CS6

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont know howthis is different from the so called celebreties unphotoshopped articles out on the web. That being said it's highly unlikely that there's an action like they claim they've made and does really unphotoshop any given image (seeing the numerous steps one works through retouching). So imho, this action is the same as photos being edited for advertisement, over the top to achieve its promotional goal. And we livein the 10s now, who doesnt know that almost all published photos and videofootage is edited?

Still might download it to see what it does, just out of curiosity.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Actions and Automation All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: