PhotoshopForums.com Home
Navigate Contact FAQ Search Members
Text within Work Path (Shape) - Having Issues
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Tools and Panels
 See a User Guidelines violation? Please contact us.

treblmaker

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:43 pm    Post subject: Text within Work Path (Shape) - Having Issues Reply with quote

I have a simple image. A side-on view of a revolver pistol on a blank background. I wish to constrain text (in this case, the text of a book chapter) to the negative space surrounding the gun, and including the small bit of negative space around the trigger and within the trigger guard. As it stands, I have been selecting this negative space and converting the selection to a work path, then using the text tool to fill the path. But for some reason that's not working? It just fills the entire canvas with the text. If I click the text tool in the detached bit of negative space (inside the trigger guard and around the trigger), that seems to work just fine, but not for the whole composition. Any ideas? Thanks so much everyone!

Gunslinger Poster.jpg
 Description:
The composition in question
 Filesize:  186.36 KB
 Viewed:  1241 Time(s)

Gunslinger Poster.jpg

thehermit

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum. I think you may need to draw a path with the Pen tool and then add the text to that path.

Something a little bit like this

treblmaker

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:45 pm    Post subject: Figured it out Reply with quote

Thanks for the help, Hermit, but that didn't quite get me there.

After some exhaustive googling I managed to figure out what was hampering my efforts. Apparently there can't be any floating selections. For instance, in the case of my gun image, it's just floating in the middle of the field. At least one point of it has to be tangent with the outside edge of the shape functioning as the text constraint. So with my image, I subtracted a 10pt line stretching from the handle to the edge of the composition, connecting it. I hope that makes sense? The gun cannot be completely encapsulated by the surrounding rectangular shape. Same for the inside of the trigger guard; I had to open up a small pathway so that the enclosed area was connected with the rest of the rectangle.

thehermit

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will have to show us the result if you can :)

treblmaker

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:33 pm    Post subject: semi-finished image Reply with quote

thehermit wrote:
You will have to show us the result if you can :)

Sure thing! Here's a link to the finished poster: http://i41.tinypic.com/15d51js.jpg

The dimensions are 36"x48" so obviously this isn't the full size image, and the font size is about 6.8pts, as I wanted to put the entire text of the book into the poster. The text is "The Gunslinger," the first in The Dark Tower series by Stephen King.

thehermit

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh, I see what you were going for now :) Really nice effect achieved, nice work.

treblmaker

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thehermit wrote:
Ahh, I see what you were going for now :) Really nice effect achieved, nice work.

Thank you!

SCTRWD

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, you can even get rid of this "pathway". With the help of Direct selection tool select the edge anchor points of one side of the pathway and move them over the other side of the pathway so that the sides "overlap" slightly. This way there won't be no pathway and the result will be perfect. Edit the anchor points so that two sides overlap seamlessly.

treblmaker

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SCTRWD wrote:
Actually, you can even get rid of this "pathway". With the help of Direct selection tool select the edge anchor points of one side of the pathway and move them over the other side of the pathway so that the sides "overlap" slightly. This way there won't be no pathway and the result will be perfect. Edit the anchor points so that two sides overlap seamlessly.

Thanks for the tip! I'll have to try that when I get home.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Tools and Panels All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: