PhotoshopForums.com Home
Navigate Contact FAQ Search Members
Why shoot in black and Wjite?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Photography
 See a User Guidelines violation? Please contact us.

Netaddict

PS Version: CS6

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:14 am    Post subject: Why shoot in black and Wjite? Reply with quote

Some people like shooting in B/w why? Since we see in color, why omit that very important aspect?

thehermit

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is easier to convert colour to B&W, whereas the inverse is not true. I prefer a RAW file, then it's my choice how I process it. However, if shooting film many photographers do so, because of the 'Ansel Adams' feel they get. I suppose in the end it just depends on the mood, or feel, you are going for.

jerryb4417

PS Version: photoshop cs5

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi,
you could talk for hours on the uses of color vs black and white.... but can't do that with these posts... smiling...

little background...lol...

first and formost were talking about artistry!!!!!!!!
andlike with any artist, and talking about serious photographers... when you create a project you want to have the viewer have a certain feeling or a re enforcement of a feeling or emotions of the image there looking at....

black/white photography can empart more feeling and emotions than color , depending on the project to the viewer...
example... war movies... a couple that was madee a few years ago was done in black and white.. to impart more of a feeling of danger, tragedeis, suspense, etc.. where as color doesn't.. your film noir movies same thing (the dark the dark and light shows) .. you see that also with posters.... instead of color they'll be black and white or very nearly so... to re enforce various feelings such as suspense , dreadness, forboding, etc....
and with photos the same... a picture of a very aged man who had a rough life andshows in his face... black and white re enforces that where color may not...!!

withthat in mind , then we get into black and white film and color film and some of this applies to digital camers...

but black and white film... you can get greater details and more shadow info than you can with color...
note: a major portion of of intellegence pictures are done in black and white.. because they generally give more details..

well that my clumsy explation of why i think they shoot in black and white instead of color...

if your really interested and it helps in many ways... either go to a photography board where there a lot of serious and proffessional photographers or sit in on a photography art course.. or sit in on a good art appreiation course..

Netaddict

PS Version: CS6

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I asked this same question to a couple of photographers who told me that B&W photography is good when you want to emphasize shape ( and color distracts the viewer from the shapes) Do you agree?

seaco

PS Version: CC

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Netaddict wrote:
I asked this same question to a couple of photographers who told me that B&W photography is good when you want to emphasize shape ( and color distracts the viewer from the shapes) Do you agree?

When I started in photography one of the main reasons I shot in B/W was cost working in a dark room was cheaper in B/W and after a while I came to love it, but now with the advent of digital I see no reason to shoot in B/W when Photoshop and associated plugins make a brilliant conversion to B/W so the best of both worlds...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Photography All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: