PhotoshopForums.com Home
Navigate Contact FAQ Search Members
Image Compression under 5k
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Photography
 See a User Guidelines violation? Please contact us.

esham

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:53 pm    Post subject: Image Compression under 5k Reply with quote

Hello, I'm currently uploading images to a website. After resizing my images down to 68x68 pixels, the image(s) tend to stay above 10k in size. That is with the "Image Option Quality" at 3 (Low). I would like to compress the image to under 5K if all possible. I have seen websites take a similar photos and compress it down to less than 2k in size.

My question is, how can I reduce a image in size while compressing my file size to under 2k in size.

Thank you in advance. :)

thehermit

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If using Photoshop and Save for Web (Ctrl+Alt+Shift+S), try and use the optimise to file size (screenie included), I think that should do the trick. Welcome to the forum.

esham

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really appreciate your time to respond. This definitely looks like something that can help us out. I will put some time into this tonight and respond later. Thank you for making me feel welcome to the forum.

jerryb4417

PS Version: photoshop cs5

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi,
first a little background... quality has a inverse relation ship to compression...
higher the quality the the lower the compression and visa versa..

so there always a trade off between how small a file and how good of quality you need...

note: also from my experience... photoshop has never been too accurate on on the quality settings...... smiling by this i mean you can tell it 80% quality (or 20% compression) but it could be off and other programs will tell you it only 70% . anyway

when you save... go to the file menu and use "save for the web" that gives you more control over how much compressions..

i was able without no problem getting your image under 5k ...when you go to "save for the web" up there where it says quality and there a slide bar adjusting the slide bar for 25% quality ... gave me a file that was under 5k .... you can compress it more but quality might really take a hit... so be carefull...

note: in the bottom left hand corner it will tell you what the file size is HOWEVER ... it generally wrong... you end up either using another program to tell you. or you use your ps regualar menu or your explorer ... to look at what the file size is..

and just for note... i check my other program and it told me the compression was only 66% and that good... anything under 80-85% is fine ...

esham

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was able to reduce a image from 40K to 1.973K.

I can't wait to play with this feature some more. It's pretty amazing. Thanks again. Big Grin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Photography All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: