PhotoshopForums.com Home
Navigate Contact FAQ Search Members
Question about panning (move hand)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Tools and Panels
 See a User Guidelines violation? Please contact us.

enix04

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:51 pm    Post subject: Question about panning (move hand) Reply with quote

Hello. I was just wondering if anyone knows of a way to to pan the canvas while zoomed in in a way that would allow me to paint on the edges of the canvas. Basically I would like to be able to pan the canvas so that I can see the gray space and paint on the edges of the canvas while zoomed in.

Currently the only way I've found to do this is by stretching the size of the window while zoomed in and then scrolling over to the gray space. That works to a certain extent but its no good when I'm zoomed far into the canvas.

jerryb4417

PS Version: photoshop cs5

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi,
maybe i am misunderstanding something here...

withmy version, when using the hand tool i can move the image any where within the ps window.......

a couple of tips... using your shortcut can help you.. in this case

the key H (for hand) and Z for zoom ...

using H (quicker) i can zipped to the edge real quck... also then can use the Z and and cllick and drag .... click and drage willallow to zoom in or out depending which direction you drag!!!

enix04

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, thanks for your quick reply. The hand tool only allows me to move the image to the images edge while zoomed in, I need to be able to go past the images edge to the gray space. Maybe this might help explain what I mean:

[/img]

jerryb4417

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi,
your image isn't showing... possiblylooking at your screen capture would make it better for me to understand

as it is... initially my picture will appear in the middle of the grey area
note: i am setup to display actual pixals not "fit screen"
and when i zoom in enough to where you see the bottom and side slide bar at that point i can use the hand tool move my canvas anywhere i want...

apparently you attach a image but it not showing.....

enix04

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll attach it instead of uploading to another site.

photoshophelp.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  164.13 KB
 Viewed:  3388 Time(s)

photoshophelp.jpg

Matt
VIP

PS Version: Lightroom 5, CS4 & Elements 11

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi enix04,

Try toggling the screen view by pressing the letter F on the keyboard.

Hope that helps

jerryb4417

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi,
I think i am going to approach your questions in a different way

1. i can see what your trying to do... you have a 1 or 2 pixel wide boarder on the edges of the image that are off color and your trying paint that 1 pixal border to match the rest of the adjacent colors...

2. the cursor.. i am assuming you mean the hand cursor, if that the case. you can not put the hand cursor in the grey area.... and move the grey area...
however you can zoom in on the image and you can move that image on the grey area..... to anywhere you like... can also use the scroll bar, instead of the hand , which should be showing when ever youzoom in and the whole image can't fit on the display, use the scroll bar reposition the image on the grey area ..

3. when your zoom in..... your paint brush... will paint on anything that on the canvas but it will not paint BEYOUND the canvas edge!!!!!! also iwas able to easily use the hand tool to move the zoomed image and hand tool to where i could coninue painting that off color1 pixa. lborder..

4. now if you do need to apply paint beyound the image edge, one method to use is just expand your canvas a few pixels (your not changing the image it self at this ppoint.... you will see a transparent edge... you can then paint and afterwards change the canvas size back toorginal values... this in essence crops... but it very precise way ... sometimes i use this meathod instead of the normal cropping meathod...

now , smiling, does this make sence, and does directly or indirectly answer your question... smiling... sometimes i'll accidently give a good answer that usefull...lol

enix04

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattyboy777 wrote:
Hi enix04,

Try toggling the screen view by pressing the letter F on the keyboard.

Hope that helps

Oh my goodness thank you so much that's exactly what I needed. That allowed me to move the canvas around way past the border while zoomed in at any distance (full screen painting is awesome too). Again, thank you so much, you have no idea how much I appreciate that little piece of information.

@jerryb4417: Thanks for helping me out too, you guys got right on it lol.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Tools and Panels All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: