PhotoshopForums.com Home
Navigate Contact FAQ Search Members
Need tips to stylize low res photos for printed collage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Photography
 See a User Guidelines violation? Please contact us.

saranorman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:41 pm    Post subject: Need tips to stylize low res photos for printed collage Reply with quote

I need to use low res photos pulled from the web to create a photo collage as a gift. It's not possible to get to originals. The photos are just snapshots of people. Any ideas on how I can play around with the images in Photoshop CS5 so that they'll look good printed? PS - I'm really into the vintage look right now but any ideas are welcome.

thank you!
Sara

jerryb4417

PS Version: photoshop cs5

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi Sara,

you didn't give us much to work with. on the printing what size, on the collage, is there a theme? that something i always start out with.. is what the theme and i start from there on arrangements and various techniques to use to get the results....

vintage... what kind of vintage, where old color pictures like polorids, or some of those very old turn of the century type vintage where it in sepia and noisy etc....

low res shouldn't be issue if printing is small and using various vintage and grunge effects... although depending the them and techniques if your going to print 8x10 or larger you may need to resize your object and increase the dpi before you insert into project ...

now for idea....idon'tknow where you want to go... a lot of times i goto bing.com image search ..... put in a few key words and i get a lot of example of idea... for example do that with "vintage posters"

now this is one of myfavorites
http://www.rnel.net/tutorial/Photoshop/12838

well i hope that helps little to get you started...

renata

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey there Sara. As jerryb said, there could be a problem printing them out large, but if you have lots of little photos in a collage I'm sure you can get it to look OK. Jerryb's suggestion of seamlessly integrating is one way.

Another way is to group them as a lot of "mini" pictures. You can pinch ideas (or buy ready made templates) from designer digitals. Look up templates for "photo clusters". For example:
http://www.designerdigitals.com/digital-scrapbooking/supplies/product_info.php/products_id/12960

If you want to use a vintage look, that might disguise the low res to some extent. Using a black and white adjustment layer with a tint makes a nice effect.

Or you can add a grungy texture over the top. You add a layer with a texture that you like (plenty on the net) then perhaps change layer blend mode to overlay and reduce opacity.

Or you can give each picture a little white border and set them out like a bunch of little polaroids (give them a drop shadow, perhaps).

So many possibilities. If you have ideas and want more advice just ask. Sounds like a fun, but time consuming, project.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Photography All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: