PhotoshopForums.com Home
Navigate Contact FAQ Search Members
Brush-size versus colour transparency.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Tools and Panels
 See a User Guidelines violation? Please contact us.

Lusketrollet

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:22 am    Post subject: Brush-size versus colour transparency. Reply with quote

The following is a post I made on another forum I stumbled upon, but I obviously figured I ought to post it here, as well. Please help me. This is driving me nuts. Mad 2

---

Hey. I need to ask you about something that has been troubling me for a while.

Generally speaking, it seems as though with most colours, the colour you have chosen will be come increasingly... "transparent", the smaller your brush-size is. For example, let's say I pick a black colour against a white background, and draw a line. If the brush-size is, for example, "25", the line will be fairly thick and black. But if I go lower - let's say a brush-size of "4" or "5" - then the line will end up just looking increasingly grey.

This is really frustrating. I'm used to drawing with thin-nibbed pens and hard pencils, where the colour is strong and the drawn line is thin. I find this gives me the best overall control over the actual drawing. I can't even begin to describe how frustrated I am that Photoshop seemingly has no intention of allowing me to do something as crazy as *gasp!* make a line that's thin and black at the same time. I'm using a tablet for drawing, (A Wacom Cintiq 12WX), and though the thought has occurred to me, I do not think this has got anything to do with that.

Please help.

Last edited by Lusketrollet on Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:41 am; edited 1 time in total

jerryb4417

PS Version: photoshop cs5

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi,
welcome aboard

now i am out of my leaque on this... however... i wouldn't rule out the table..

if you not using the table, and just using the mouse.... are the results the same..?

also on the tablet did you go into it brush settings
iknow on my version of ps, eventhough i don't use it...

there a couple of tablets button that overrides ps button for opacity and pressure.. if you have them you may want to check those

renata

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can definitely get a line which is both thin and black. Have a look at what settings you're using with the brush.

In the drop down box, try using a "hard" rather than a "soft" brush. Look at the drop down box next to the brush tip sample at the top. Set hardness to 100%.

Also try increasing the Opacity and Flow to 100%.

If you bring up the brush panel (there's an icon for it, or choose Window > Brush) there are literally hundreds of ways you can vary your brush.

If you stuff around and lose track you can reset your brushes to default using drop down box (top LHS nexty to brush pic + click black triangle inside that).

Another thing to remember is that there is a pencil tool (look in dropdown under the brush tool) - I don't use it much but I believe you might get more of a "hard" line with it.

Hope that helps.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Tools and Panels All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: