PhotoshopForums.com Home
Navigate Contact FAQ Search Members
How does this look for a yearbook cover?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Design and Graphic Reviews
 See a User Guidelines violation? Please contact us.

Blingies

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:04 am    Post subject: How does this look for a yearbook cover? Reply with quote

This is a yearbook cover design for a maths and science highschool.

http://i.imgur.com/zdaID.png

Constructive criticism encouraged.
Also looking for compliments.. :)

thehermit

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Blingies, welcome to the forum. I like it. Good use of bold colours that are complimentary, I might fade or tone down some of the mathematical symbols at the bottom, just so as not to draw the eye away too much from the main focus. Also tone down the blue stars under the word 'Mathematics, it's a little busy around that area, not so good when reading is the function.

renata

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Blingies, I really like it! The lambda made me smile - not something you come across often in high school... somebody's doing a bit of physics there...

Be aware that sometimes when they print your image they cut off the edges just a little. So it might be worth moving any lettering or symbols which are near the edge so that they are closer to the middle (if it's easy to do).

Blingies

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

renata wrote:
The lambda made me smile - not something you come across often in high school... somebody's doing a bit of physics there...

Haha, thanks.. Big Grin To be honest, Im not doing any of the maths or science subjects at my school (except chemistry). Im more of a creative arts person.. ;)

Quote:
Be aware that sometimes when they print your image they cut off the edges just a little. So it might be worth moving any lettering or symbols which are near the edge so that they are closer to the middle (if it's easy to do).

Ahh, okay. I was thinking of having a border on the cover, but that might ruin the abstract design?

thehermit wrote:
Hi Blingies, welcome to the forum.

Thanks.. :)

Quote:
Also tone down the blue stars under the word 'Mathematics, it's a little busy around that area, not so good when reading is the function.

I see what you mean, I'll tone down the brightness for those water droplets ;)

jacvio

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

really nice use of colors and gradients, I like it.

I really like the blue parts, the yellows might need at bit more work.

renata

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Blingies, art is art and people can give advice but you have to go with what you actually feel yourself. If you think it needs a border, try it out, see how it looks, you can always go back. Personally, I do actually like how it is, but don't listen to me, I'm probably more techy than arty!

jerryb4417

PS Version: photoshop cs5

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi,
i like it, it interesting, it not tradional, and that imporatant because your dealilng with kids... smiling....

one i would suggest you think about and that is soft proofing if your monitor has been calibrated ....

it one thing how it looks on the screen however... when actually printed using different kinds of inks ( and you most likely printing in cymk, ) plus the texture of the book.... big difference between magazine paper and rough texture of a book cover ....

soft proofing can help give you a good idea what the printing will be like and which cantell you adjustments you may need to do ...

you might ask the printer for some tip or things to watch out for....

Photoshoprint

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice cover Blingies. I like the colors and the 2011 effect. Still, I would consider aligning the 2011 with the subtitle and leave more space from edge. When the book cover will be printed you might have problems with trimming and safe/bleed lines.

SearcingLost

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Photoshoprint wrote:
Nice cover Blingies. I like the colors and the 2011 effect. Still, I would consider aligning the 2011 with the subtitle and leave more space from edge. When the book cover will be printed you might have problems with trimming and safe/bleed lines.

I agree with this. I designed my high school's yearbook cover years ago. When we had a rough draft printed, the boarders didn't print properly so always leave yourself some room.

steevewd

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That must be the title and this looks great.Good use of colors specially.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Design and Graphic Reviews All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: