PhotoshopForums.com Home
Navigate Contact FAQ Search Members
How to move embedded text (sorry beginner)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Tools and Panels
 See a User Guidelines violation? Please contact us.

miseryguts

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:16 pm    Post subject: How to move embedded text (sorry beginner) Reply with quote

Firstly hello to all here (great forum)

I have had a brief look at the tutorials section, but most of it is way beyond me at the moment.. i have been tinkering with CS5 for little over a day now & have got not much further than using the clone stamp tool for some VERY basic retouching, anyway i digress..

On to my question (apologies if i am using the incorrect terminology.. new to this)
I have an image that has some bold/large text already (embedded..?) which i would quite like to keep, but reposition (if possible, around other parts of the image, which i would like to remain where they currently are) someone at work mentioned something about creating layers, but quickly baffled me whilst explaining what to do.
Is this a bit too complex a task for a new user to undertake..? if not could someone here possibly walk me through the process (simple steps please)

Many thanks.

renata

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What type of image do you have?

If it it is, say, a .PSD (Photoshop) file which already has the text embedded on its own layer, then it's easy.

If your image is a jpeg or other type of "flat" file (e.g a photo or a scanned poster) then you aren't going to be able to move that text around as you like. That's because the pixels for the text have already been combined with the pixels and colors of all the rest of the image. With some painstaking work, you might be able to clone out the text and add new text, depending on the nature of the picture, but there's no easy way.

Sorry about that.

hawkeye

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do yourself a favor, go to the library and find a book on Photoshop. Any version will do the principles haven't changed for the basics..

Patrick
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard, miseryguts. Thanks for the kind words on the community.

Patrick

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

jerryb4417

PS Version: photoshop cs5

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi,
now really don't know if you have a jpg file or a layered psd file.... your post a little confusing on that part... it makes a big difference in replies...

every image has it own challenges and for a given task lke selecting a object there can be almost a dozen different ways to do the same taks... because of image one way maybe better than another....

and this is where it is ALWAYS usefull to post the image your working on...

so we can see and experiment to see which method might work best...

now with that said... really guessing because don't the image to see...

assumming were looking at a single layer image...

1. always make duplicate layer of the orgina and work off the dup..l... it a good habit
2. use one of the selecting toos to select the text
note : also save that selection select>save selection
3.then do a copy and paste, automatically theselection is put on it own layer
where you can move that selection to any place yo want..
3. comming back to the dup layer..... load that previous select save ...

what your going to do at this point basically eliminate the text and a couple of ways to do that... but which will work well again depends on the surround background of the text so experiment... but anyway
1. you can clone tool a vy common meathod to wipe out the text

2. aanother way now in cs5 you have you have a niffy ability called ontent aware... it not 100% effect but when it works well it outstanding...
while you got text select increase the selection by about 5 pixels.. then go to edit>fill and makse sure normal mode and content aware setting are set and click ok .... most of the time it fill in nicely but sometimes it don't because of what surrounding the object your wiping out.. smiling...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Tools and Panels All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: