PhotoshopForums.com Home
Navigate Contact FAQ Search Members
My Website Banner
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Design and Graphic Reviews
 See a User Guidelines violation? Please contact us.

VonStarkeGSD

PS Version: CS5 Extended 12.0 64bit

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:06 pm    Post subject: My Website Banner Reply with quote

Hey, Currently messing around with banners for my website.

Made this simple banner not very good i know, however while viewing the psd file the text looks crystal clear. Once saved and uploaded to my website the text looks defused and sloppy. What causes this ?

WebsitesigFinal1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  115.8 KB
 Viewed:  856 Time(s)

WebsitesigFinal1.jpg

jerryb4417

PS Version: photoshop cs5

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi,
my thoughts and opinions... it would be nice know your website address and see for outselves how it looks and to check a couple of other things..

now there can be many reasons... but a couple of ideas...

1. now i notice the image you posted is appx 430 x125 ....

well what is the actual displaysize yourlooking at... for if the display ends up being something like 700 by 250 ...... it notgoing to be as sharplooking..

generally you make your banners a lot larger than what you need... to insure that it looks well on the web page... it easier for a banner to look good if it shrunk than if it enlarge by the webpage...

2. now another possiblity.... is the format.... jpg is not my favorite format
if you compress the file too much you can get fuzziness and maybe shift in certain color shades , artifacts, etc .... i am not sure what compression value you use.... generally any compression under 75% per cen should satisfactory .. and compression above 90% things can start to look not so good... and resaving jpg files not good...

3. now it could be a issue between your grahic card and browser.. don't know...

4. if you brought up the image in a different graphic program how does it look???? ok or bad ....

5. aw another possiblity... what is your color managment set for....???

generally for webpage viewing sRGB is used...... what your setup for..

any way a few dieas... hopefully other jump in

VonStarkeGSD

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry yeah the website where the image is placed www.vonstarkegsd.co.uk

jerryb4417

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi,
this is what i see in the webpage....

1. yes i see where the imperfection in the lettering especially where appears thickness is already very thin...

2. i also notice the image itself is twice the size of your sample you provided whcih tell me you double the size of the orginal ...

i think one of the issues is the fact that the image was enlarge twice the size that always cause some sort of issue.... and combine that with the way maybe the browser is handling the image...

now one thing idon't understand... and maybe why the issue with the letters.. i noticed i couldn't do a rightclick and save of that picture off the website ... and am not sure why .... its as if it part of something else and not a picture... other images there i could...

suggestions...
1. remake the image but start off at twice the size you used before....

2. and maybe save to png instead of jpg

VonStarkeGSD

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for the quick reply jerry,

I started off with a blank image size dimensions were set at

11339 x 3118 = 153MB
SRGB IEC61966-2.1

That way reducing size while set so large i thought would not distaught, Then again i am new to this.

The reason you cannot save the header is due to a feature which i cannot change on the domain i use. I can simple just import a different image.

I do still have the psd file, maybe its the settings when i save the image.

jerryb4417

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi,
well you definitely startedout at the large size is that what was loaded or was it trim down before uploading to the site...

also wondering if the software there using when they put the banner in webpage has something to do with it... i really can't see anythings...

your sample ... i displayed it in several different graphic programs i have and i don't see the same lettering issue that appears on the webpage..

also ibrought up your sample , at 100% view, and saw noproblems...

i am starting to think maybe it the outfit and the program thier using to enlarge and place that banner

renata

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi VonStarkeGSD. I wish I could have one of your dogs!

You WILL be able to get the image how you want it. I must say, it didn't look too bad to me...

Do you know about all the different options available to you under 'Save for Web'? You can experiment around a fair bit before uploading it to the website. A few useful features:

- The "Preview" button at the bottom opens it in a browser for you to see how it would look
- You can choose different levels of quality in the drop down box in the top RHS
- You can choose the "Image Size" that you want it converted to (better for you to downsize it than your host, I think)
- If you downsize, you can choose the method used ("Quality" on the bottom right). Try setting it to bicubic sharper if you downsize, see if it
makes a difference
- There's information at the bottom of the preview window telling you how big your final file will be, with estimates of how long it would take to load. Just for interest, a 400k header is possible a little big?
- I think you should to have "Convert to sRGB" ticked (somebody correct me if I'm wrong)

A couple of other things to consider.
- Nothing wrong with using jpeg over PNG, especially for a photographic type image. Keep an eye on that file size
- If after all this, you're still unhappy with the lettering, you can try a couple of things:
- Have you done anything like "Rasterise Type'" in your original photoshop file, then manipulated it? Keep it as a text layer unless you have a good reason to convert. There are also a couple of options that you can apply to crisp up text. Select you text layer and look for the drop down box at the top which lets you choose None/Sharp/Crisp/Strong/Smooth. These can give slightly different edges to your text.
- You can choose a text that is a little fatter
OR
Have you thought of giving your text a layer effect or stroke? Sometimes a drop shadow on a text layer can be just the thing to give it a bit of lift.

You can definitely get things how you want. Have a play with some of these suggestions and if you have any more questions, just ask. But even if you don't, your website banner would not stop me from being interested in buying your dogs (if I lived in your country, of course!)

Good luck!

Corkyboy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:32 pm    Post subject: German Shepherd Banner Reply with quote

I was just browsing around and found your post. You must have found your problem because your banner looks great to me now.

I love the pictures of the German Shepherds. I used to have one years ago and she was a really great dog. I know you must really enjoy working with them.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Design and Graphic Reviews All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: