PhotoshopForums.com Home
Navigate Contact FAQ Search Members
Brushes acting strangely
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Tools and Panels
 See a User Guidelines violation? Please contact us.

upants

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 5:50 am    Post subject: Brushes acting strangely Reply with quote

Desperation has led me to the forums, i'm hoping someone will be able to shed some light on what is going on.

Usually when drawing on photoshop I depend on my 'hard round' brush, but all of a sudden it stopped behaving the way it used to.

It used to behave much like the pencil tool but with a smoother finish (I use a tablet pen.) The line would become bigger or smaller with pressure, but wouldn't change in opacity, it was really good for inking.

Now the brush fades with pressure which means it doesn't create a crisp solid line that I want.

I tried fiddling with the brush settings i.e turning off fade in the transfer tab, but to no avail and when I changed settings they would revert back to the previous ones as soon as drew something.

Heeeeelp :-( (photoshop cs5)

renata

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the opposite problem a while back, where I couldn't get pen pressure to work! Turns out I needed a driver for my tablet. But that's not the case for you...

When I was working through the Adobe CS5 classroom in a book, at the start of every chapter it asked me to reset Photoshop to default preferences.
Perhaps this would get rid of any preference you have inadvertently set (as well as all the preferences that you wanted to keep!).

If nobody comes up with a solution to your problem, you might want to give it a try. To reset Photoshop to default preferences, hold down Ctr+Alt+Shift (Win) or Command+Option+Shift (Mac) as you start Photoshop. It will ask you to confirm that you want to delete the Photoshop Settings file.

For me, I had to try a few times before I could get it to recognise that I'd clicked (maybe because my nice new computer was a bit too fast?).

Good luck, maybe somebody else will know exactly what the trouble and you won't need to consider this.

renata

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, you could try resetting just the brushes tool:

From the link: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/375776

Quote:
For every tool in Photoshop's Tool Box, the user may choose to fully reset JUST that tool to its default settings. To do this, look up to the Options Bar. On the far left side you will see a button which displays an icon of the currently selected tool. This is the Tool Preset picker. Right-click on this button, and you will see two entries:

* Reset Tool
* Reset All Tools

The first thing to try when a tool is not acting like you expect it should is to apply the command "Reset Tool" from this menu. Often this will cure a problem, and by starting your Photoshop troubleshooting with this procedure you aren't resetting Photoshop's entire behavior and environment to factory default in a wholesale manner. Instead, you're just getting that particular tool back to its default settings, leaving the rest of Photoshop's settings alone.

upants

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're a life saver!! Yeh resetting photoshop's default preferences sorted it out fine and now the brush is back to normal :-D

Thanks a bunch!

renata

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm so glad!

thehermit

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GJ reanata! In all seriousness GJ!

You are great !Award yourself a pat on the back, for being constantly helpful. :)

renata

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:-)

Patrick
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great job, renata. :) Welcome aboard, upants.

Patrick

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Tools and Panels All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: