PhotoshopForums.com Home
Navigate Contact FAQ Search Members
how to copy identical sized pieces
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Tools and Panels
 See a User Guidelines violation? Please contact us.

Heywood

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:36 am    Post subject: how to copy identical sized pieces Reply with quote

Hello,

I apologize if this is a really dumb question, but I happen to find the PS interface really counter-intuitive and I have not been able to figure out the answer using PS help. Here is the problem: I have 8 figures, each of which I need to copy a piece from, and paste into a new consolidated figure. The part I need to copy from each of the 8 figures is situated in different spots in each of the 8 figures. My problem arises from the necessity that every time I copy, I need the piece being copied to be identical in size to each of the previous pieces. I can of course select the part I want from each and copy/paste. But trying to get the piece identical in size each time by eye is essentially impossible. Is there some way I can select the piece I want to copy from the first picture, and then tell PS that I want it to remember the size and shape and let me recall it when I need to copy from the next picture? Thank-you for your time.

Auieos

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok just for example you have your eight images open and one image where they all get pasted.

Go to the first image, marquee out your selection, and then right click the selection and 'layer via copy'.
Now right click the layer in layer panel and choose 'duplicate layer'.
In the duplication dialog you can choose your source document, choose the image where they will all be pasted.
Again duplicate this layer, however this time send it to the next one of your eight images.
Go to your next image.
Ctrl + Click the duplicated layer thumb, this will give you a marquee that is the same size as your original selection.
Now select the non duplicated layer, move the marquee into position, layer via copy, duplicate layer, repeat...

Bit of a work around solution. :)

Heywood

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help. Saved me a lot of aggravation. One thing I had to do was when I performed the second duplication and transferred it to the next figure to copy from, after cntrl + click to get the marquee and moving it to highlight the new section, I had to delete the duplicated layer that I had used to get the marquee before photoshop would allow me to save the new selection as a layer. If I didn't delete the other layer, it gave an error message saying the selection was empty. Nice bug, huh? I would expect software that costs as much as an Adobe product that the developers have had 2 decades or more to refine to be a little less annoying and bug filled than this.

Auieos

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey no problem. Sucks about the bug you ran into, nothing in life is perfect unfortunately, especially software.

hubert

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Well I think that "Auieos" told the best and easy solution.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Tools and Panels All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: