PhotoshopForums.com Home
Navigate Contact FAQ Search Members
How should I make my navigation bar?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Design and Graphic Reviews
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Please contact us.

thehermit

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:40 pm    Post subject: How should I make my navigation bar? Reply with quote

Hi folks, in attempting to build an on-line presence for myself I have a basic navigation bar in mind. I would like it to fan out revealing the navigation categories. I don't want to use Flash as iPhones and the like will throw a hissy fit, but I am unsure whether I should seek a code or other solution to my problem of animating the fanning action.

On a slightly different note, can you identify the inspiration of the navigation bar? Is it obvious, subtle, naff? Should I keep the idea or throw it out as madness?

With my limited knowledge and depending upon advice given, I may put this in the Cash & Barter section of the forum, with the emphasis on barter ;)

I'm not lazy though so if it's in my abilities I'm always willing to have a bash.

navigation.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  51.15 KB
 Viewed:  578 Time(s)

navigation.jpg

Auieos

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea, looks really clean and has strong association.

The inspiration is pantone?

Guessing you will be using java if not using flash.
Will keep my eye out for suitable code.

thehermit

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did a bit of ferreting with reference to Java, there are a million transitions most involving tedious drop down menus (yawn), instead I want to inflict a fanning action, I did come across this that looked interesting (I say looked interesting, in much the same way as I don't read Spanish and Le Pais looks interesting) Dead Stack Menu It should entertain me no end trying to sort that out, any thoughts on modifying code to customise to my needs?

YourOnlySin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh...I thought they were urine test strips. Hah! Can I say that here?

I rather like the idea Hermit. FYI, as of the latest OS update, my Android phone now supports Flash 10 and any of the newer ones should by default.

Hah..its funny....I almost thought you said something about writing some code...Are you using any web creation tools like Dreamweaver or Wordpress?

thehermit

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was hoping to realise it in CSS mainly, cobbled together code and cannibalised existing content. I think the navigation and image gallery should be some of my larger hurdles, I'm hoping the content of the site and it's structure will be kept simple so as not to confuse the stupid architect ;)

Test strips! gah! don't want to think about what you consumed to get those sorts of colours :)

I have a copy of Dreamweaver 4 (don't laugh)

YourOnlySin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah...I'm kinda lost when it comes to how to code something like that. I created a page in photoshop that I wanted to use for my site but could never get any of the code to work out. So I'm left with the PSD image and could never bring myself to pay anyone to make it work. Gone are the days of simple HTML code. I'm anxious to see your results though!

YourOnlySin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you come up with anything today?

thehermit

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today? I'm working an a time frame of 20 months, granted I want it done in 3 and on a budget of peanuts. Oh and it must look slick and take advantage of the latest design ****, but failing that real life and work are overtaking me. I hate how I need an on-line presence, but reality these days begs to differ,

I am wanting to transfer, so I should suck it up - I KNOW!! ;)

Auieos

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah i like the stack menu. Only problem with it is you have to click it to get it to open but that could be changed to roll over hopefully.

I found one that isn't quite what your after, i just thought it was so tidy it deserved a look.

Rocking and Rolling

Will you be using WCMS?

thehermit

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aarrgh! At least I know what a WCMS is, I presume I won't need one because of a low content factor ( this may or may not be a factor to those in the know).

I was hoping I could substitute/replace my lame code, week on week, month by month as needed, with a few artful code dodges, by using others work as a foundation and my shared knowledge (just don't!).

I think what scare me about CMS is I don't have control and those that do, I have no clue about. It's almost tragic I can work with databases and retouch photos - but this! eek!

Do I need an code therapist? ;)

I figure there's a point where I laugh myself silly or laugh myself silly, it' just a matter of time. Uh Oh

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Design and Graphic Reviews All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: