PhotoshopForums.com Home
Navigate Contact FAQ Search Members
A couple pics from a shoot
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Design and Graphic Reviews
 See a User Guidelines violation? Please contact us.

PF268

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:24 am    Post subject: A couple pics from a shoot Reply with quote

Hey everyone, I was wondering if anyone could give me some feedback on a couple of pictures I took for a photoshoot of my friend. I did each picture separately in photoshop so they came out very different looking in my opinion. A lot of people have told me I airbrush my pics too much so I'd appreciate some feedback on that. Which ones are done too much, and how could I make them a little more realistic? thanks in advance :)

I still have a lot more pics to work on so I'd like to know which ones I'm on the right track with, and which ones I should avoid in the future. The pictures are in order of which ones I worked on first - last

Here's the Album:(I'm not sure if I'm posting this right so let me know if I'm not)
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2219030&id=16318003&l=d96f2a18ea

darklite

PS Version: cs

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know how many you retouched in this group. If the pics on the bottom of the page have been

retouched, I'd say you're going in a better direction. The ones at the top definitely look "overbrushed".

It's not that you're airbrushing too much, it's just that there's more to be done. I've found that simply

airbrushing photos gives a "doll" effect that makes the skin appear to be far too smooth. This effect jumps

right out at you. One of the biggest problems is that it takes away from the natural texture of the skin.

Skin is very bumpy when observed up close. I would try to eliminate some, but not all of that.

If you want to post a higher res image of her here, I can play with it and show you. I'm sure others in here

can offer very good tips as well.

But, in the meantime, I'd try some experiments. If it were me, I'd duplicate the layer. Then I'd make an

attempt using quick mask and a soft eraser to cover her mouth, and eyes--not the eyelids, or even the brows,

just the eyes. Then using a larger semi-hard brush and get rid of the background, hair, jacket etc.

Then, make it a selection, and inverse it so only the open skin areas are affected.
Add noise-uniform-small amount to begin with, perhaps only 2.

Then see how it looks. You can adjust it with curves--I'd use curves, not levels, but then again, use what

you think is best. Or, you can change the layer's blend mode to "screen", then add an adjustment layer of

levels, or curves, or simply reduce the opacity of the "screen" layer.

As for adjusting opacity, I'd do it in the Layers palette, and not in "layer style" palette.

I hope some of this helps.

http://www.autumnwindstudios.com

PF268

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot :) I'm working on a few more of the pictures right now and I'm going to try to keep what you said in mind for them, we'll see how it goes. I think somewhere along the line I got too dependent on airbrushing so hopefully I can force myself out of that habit

PF268

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finished the pictures from the shoot now and I am much happier with the latest ones I did, I think they look more realistic. I'm not going to go back to the others to make them look more realistic because people have already seen them so I'd rather not make any changes. Your advice about adding noise tot he skin is really helpful. I've been using it on my latest shoot and it works really well :) When I have a good amount of photos from it ill post it on here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Design and Graphic Reviews All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: