PhotoshopForums.com Home
Navigate Contact FAQ Search Members
Poster
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Design and Graphic Reviews
 See a User Guidelines violation? Please contact us.

Bluepawn

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:01 pm    Post subject: Poster Reply with quote

Rate plz

out of 10

moondog

PS Version: CS2

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice composition, but perhaps you lay the text on the top layer so that it is more readable .... other than that, I really think it's great!

Romans 10:13
For Whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved

Bluepawn

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

moondog wrote:
nice composition, but perhaps you lay the text on the top layer so that it is more readable .... other than that, I really think it's great!

umm thank you, ya the text in on one of the middle layers, but I don't wanna lose the transparent effect.

moondog

PS Version: CS2

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

your call, it's still a nice design, but I can't read the word under SUMMER ... and have a hard time reading the other words as well except for SURF and somewhat play

Romans 10:13
For Whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved

Bluepawn

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for input keep it coming.

Patrick
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would echo what Mark (moondog) has said regarding the text. It's just hard to read. I think it's Summer Moments, but most people won't stare at it to read it. So, it would be cool if it was easier to read. Just my thoughts.

Thanks,

Patrick

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Bluepawn

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I get more input plz? Besides "I can't read text."

Patrick
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally speaking, the things that stand out are the things that one feels need the most improvement. So, that's why the text is probably being mentioned. Some other thoughts:

The cut (outside) on her hair seems too harsh. You could also clean it up a bit, probably, by removing the fingers that stick out from her thigh, on the lower part of the image and by removing the right arm that can be seen dangling behind her. The arm is mostly not visible, anyway, so removing it completely would probably just make it cleaner and give the appearance that the arm is on her other side.

Thanks,

Patrick

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Sublimity

PS Version: Master Collection CS3/CS4

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can be harsh sometimes with criticism, but what say will be constructive and only constructive. I believe any work posted in this section is here to be analyzed, defragmented, and hopefully rebuilt again with a heightened sense of perfection. Thinking so, I will make no effort to extenuate my criticisms.

5/10

Aesthetically, it is an ideal composition, taking full use of the negative space. The good news ends there. If this is intended to be a poster of some sort, it is miles away from legibility and stylizing. The first thing you can do is heighten the contrast with the curves command in Photoshop. By making an S-curve, a S-shaped curve, you can bring out the highlights in the woman and darken the shadows. For extra precision and airbrushing, use the dodge and burn tools to add some accented highlights/shadows.

While being no studio shot, I don't usually see wooden poles protruding from behind women in swimsuits. If you would like to improve, spending some time taking that pole out and healing back the hair using the clone stamp tool or healing brush tool.

Viewers can also see that it is badly photoshopped because of two things.

1) Lacking in color harmony between the lighting that the photo was taken in and the azure/cerulean hue of the background.

After adding contrast, changing the color temperature to a cooler blue will harmonize the two elements better. There is no easy way to do this. Changing the image from RBG to LAB (IMAGE>MODE>LAB COLOR) will reveal the tint (a channel) and temperature (b channel) channel in addition to luminosity (lightness channel). You can then use the levels and curves command to customize each channel's color intensity. Do some research about LAB color and work your way up.

If you wanted another way, you can attempt to match colors by selecting the woman layer and a layer of the background that is predominately blue. (IMAGE>ADJUSTMENTS>MATCH COLORS)

Horrible edge quality and the lack of edge detail.

Like Patrick said the edge itself ruined the image tenfolds, especially on the top where hair detail is lacking. Have a selection tool selected and right click to select the REFINE EDGE command and give your edges a trace amount of feathering. Not too much as it will ruin the contours of the woman. You can also compensate the hard edges by applying a minimal amount of outer glow.

No apologies to mention legibility again, but Moondog hit the spot when he said your text was unreadable. Your type face was an inappropriate choice for a poster. Fancy is one thing, but that bold and italicized script font impedes the reader from reading it at first glance. To exacerbate this, your misty effect prevents reading even further. Either crank down that opacity on the mist or make a layer mask that conceals the mist that intercepts over the words "summer" and "moments". While at it, I would change the font to something more generic in boldness and in terms of jagged contours.

To garnish your poster further, you may want to consider adding a minimal border to your image.

Good luck.

Patrick
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice detailed suggestions, Eriq.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Design and Graphic Reviews All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: