PhotoshopForums.com Home
Navigate Contact FAQ Search Members
Providing Source Files to clients
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> General Photoshop and Design Discussion
 See a User Guidelines violation? Please contact us.

BrainDance

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:46 pm    Post subject: Providing Source Files to clients Reply with quote

what are your thoughts, yes or no?
if yes, why, if no, why?
I feel its very un-businesslike to require/request them it ranks up there with requiring or requesting free specs.
looking forward to your responses so i can come up with a polite way to explain why I won't hand over my work :)
thanks!
Linda

combiBob

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to answer a question with a question, but why do you care? Are you concerned with the client seeing what you're doing, or learning for themselves? I can understand that. (It's not part of a plumber's job to show you how to fix a leak yourself.)

On the other hand. If the client wants or needs to move something and doesn't want to go through you again to do it, I kinda get that too. In that context, you could put your relationship at risk by withholding the files.

I guess I'm lucky. My clients assume I have them and come back to me if they need anything.

BrainDance

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:14 am    Post subject: thanks for responding.. Reply with quote

Hi, Bob
I prefer not to have my source files public, I think the buyer is paying for the end result and they have the right to those files, not to my own.
I offer a 6months of basic revisions at no charge.
In the past many people have taken my source files, given them to another designer for revisions or whatever and next thing I see is my design on 4 different sites and they are claiming ownership.
Do i care others see how I do things, sure I do. I'm being paid to develop a product design, not to teach other people how to do what I do, then provide them with portfolio content from my own work.
I think open source is great and I contribute regularly to it so others can learn and/or have quick access to needed techniques, but I don't think giving away source files is something I should or want to do.

combiBob wrote:
Sorry to answer a question with a question, but why do you care? Are you concerned with the client seeing what you're doing, or learning for themselves? I can understand that. (It's not part of a plumber's job to show you how to fix a leak yourself.)

On the other hand. If the client wants or needs to move something and doesn't want to go through you again to do it, I kinda get that too. In that context, you could put your relationship at risk by withholding the files.

I guess I'm lucky. My clients assume I have them and come back to me if they need anything.

combiBob

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well. I suppose a tactful way of saying no is in order.

Good luck.

Ducky316

PS Version: 7.0

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also prefer not to supply the client with my psd files...However there are a few that require it. For instance on worth1000 in their corp contest, it is a requirement to provide these. If you do not, your submission is automatically rejected. You even have to include any and all fonts used.

effectwebdesign

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i never, ever supply my clients with source files unless they pay $$$ for them. i suppose it depends on the working arrangement, but i can't think of many where it's a good idea, especially without an iron-clad contract and a hefty deposit / retainer.

Patrick
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand why you wouldn't want to, but if that is the case, definitely be up front about that from the very start. It helps everyone - especially you, since you will have less angry clients. :)

I've had people do work for me and I've always expected it. It's not a free spec since I'm paying them for it (or we have some other arrangement). But, it's not a good idea to just expect it - for quite a while now, I've been making sure to make that clear from the very start on my end.

If someone did a logo for me, for example, I couldn't work with them if they wouldn't provide me with that source file, because it's needed so that we can adequately apply our branding to different mediums and in different ways. As a business, or even as an individual, you never want to have to rely on another person or entity still being around, to get that.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

effectwebdesign

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:17 am    Post subject: Certainly Reply with quote

Yes, obviously for vector based identity elements you're going to have to hand over those files, but I would never do this until they've approved and paid. Even with a flattened low-res .jpg (not a .ai or .psd source file) they can walk away and have someone else design something very similar knowing small design shops can't afford to sue them... that's why I require a contract on EVERY job and almost always some form of significant deposit or retainer so I'm not left holding the bag, or if it takes them months to get back the money is in the bank.

Matt
VIP

PS Version: Lightroom 5, CS4 & Elements 11

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you state anything in your terms and conditions?

When I've designed illustrations and graphics I've always declared up front whether or not the source file will be available once paymant has been received.

I've nearly always made source files available though, for two reasons.
Firstly, once the client receives the work it's feasible, and usually quite easy, for another designer or artist to recreate that work by building a new source file. It's very unlikely the client will have expensive software like Photoshop and Illustrator and not be able to do the work in the first place (why pay £1000 to just up and down sample graphic files?).
Secondly, and running off the first point, if you're confident your prices are competitive and fair then why would your client feel the need to employ another designer.

If you're concerned the source files may be passed onto students or friends who have the software and know the basics, then I think stating in your terms and conditions that the source files will not be available is a fair enough practice. The point CombiBob made above about the plumber is a very good one but I think ultimately your decision should be part of your terms and conditions.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> General Photoshop and Design Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: