PhotoshopForums.com Home
Navigate Contact FAQ Search Members
clipping problem
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> General Photoshop and Design Discussion
 See a User Guidelines violation? Please contact us.

Blissed

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:38 pm    Post subject: clipping problem Reply with quote

hi

im new to photoshop and i was working on this photo.. apparently there is clipping on the white top? what is clipping and how do i get rid of it? i was also asked to try and have full tonality and an embedded profile. can someone remove the clipping and have full tonality so i can view the before/after and understand how it works?

thanks,
blissed.

fahad2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  187.64 KB
 Viewed:  222 Time(s)

fahad2.jpg

Bazman

PS Version: CS3

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have worked with Photoshop for over 12 years and have no idea what your client means!

Clipping to me is a clipping path which you draw around objects in order to isolate them from the background.

The only other thing I can think of is that the top has flared from the flash and has no shadow information. No idea what they mean by tonality, this is not a PS term I have heard of, maybe they mean saturation which will give more colour to the image. And as for the embedded profile, there are many different profiles which can be embedded into an image for use with printers or on screen reproduction.

Matt
VIP

PS Version: Lightroom 5, CS4 & Elements 11

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey there,

Clipping is a photographic term used when a region of the shadows and/or highlights is outside the colour gamut of the camera. If you look at the right hand side of the white top (his left) you'll see the 'hotspot' where all tonal detail of the shirt is replaced by a patch of pure white. As Bazman said, this is usually caused by the flash of the camera.

Sometimes it's possible to create 'blown' or clipped regions of the photograph in post-processing, commands like levels and curves can do this kind of damage if not used properly. When you produce regions of pure white like the photograph above, you're clipping brightness levels in each of the 3 colour channels (if you're working with an RGB image for example).

Unfortunately, if this is the only version of the image you have, then you're not going to be able to bring back tones and details in the white shirt because you can't create new details with nothing to work from (unless you clone details in etc). That's the reason clipping is such a bad thing.

Hope this helps

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> General Photoshop and Design Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: