PhotoshopForums.com Home
Navigate Contact FAQ Search Members
my first sig
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Design and Graphic Reviews
 See a User Guidelines violation? Please contact us.

jesusfreak200974

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:07 pm    Post subject: my first sig Reply with quote

hey guys, this is my first sig, and I was just wondering what you thought. comments and constructive criticism are welcome! :)
(and yeah i know that isnt my name I was doing it for someone else :-p)

malcon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey whats up man, first of all. welcome to photoshop forums...this is a great place to get your art reviewed and get some great ideas..
anyway about your sig.

i like the halftone pattern. it always makes a sig look good. anyway the compositing is good concerning the figure and the background. im not fond of the bevel and emboss on the entire signiture. it looks to plasticy...hmm i would at least change the highlight color from white to maybe a lighter color of the background. this will make it work better.
text is one thing that is hard to get to look right. its hard to find a text that works and flows with the image. i think the text that you used doesnt fit the figure at all. the figure is so strong and metalic and cold and the text is very soft and curvey...i think a more futuristic, robotic, metalic type would suit this much better. also it should be bigger...and remember that symetry can be bad. check out some books on design and stufff. thats what i do and it gets me realy inspired. but for a first sig this isnt bad at all man.
if you make any changes let us know!!!
keep it up man!!!

jesusfreak200974

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey, thanks for the feedback! yes, the bevel and emboss thing i was not too sure about, but I thought it looked cool. i am working on it, taking some of your suggestions. instead of the bevel and emboss though, i used a 1px inside stroke. i think it looks pretty good with teh whole scanline thing that i have goin on. i also think i found a good text to use. just a couple questions: first, what do you mean by making the highlight color a lighter color of the background? second, could you reccomend some design books that you have and like? thanks for all your help! :-)

EDIT: and one more thing, what are the pros and cons of saving my image as a PNG or a JPG, and which do you prefer?

EDIT2: here it is. do you think the red in the text is too much?

malcon

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey man! this looks 10 times better already. i think the stroke is awesome, and fits much better with the bevel and emboss..
about the highlight color.
when your doing a bevel and emboss, click on bevel and emboss and the bevel and emboss menue should be shown to the right. it will have all the sliders, opacity, depth,soften, etc etc etc and at the bottum there is two swatches, a white swatch (the highlight), and the black swatch for the shadows. now, if you double click on the white swatch you can change the color. i usually just mouse over the lighest color in the background or on the figure and use that color (it will automaticly pick up any color you click on outside of the color select option box.
andyway there are also blending modes just for the highlights. for the bevel and emboss i think it is set to screen or somthing. i usually play aroud with different blending modes until i find one i reallyl ike. when you do this, it will make the bevel look more believable... and it will blend in better with the entire image.

anyway i like this text much much better.. it is still pretty hard to read though. i would try making it a little bigger. almost filling that space to the right of the figure (dont go overboard) but try maybe a lighter inner glow (change the color of the inner glow to maybe a white or somthing).. or you could go with a 1-2 pixel white stroke and make a red outer glow, and change the blending mode to normal for the outerglow... there are tones of things you can do, but its hard to read as it is..

i hope that helps.
as for books...

i recomend drawing fromt he right side of the breain (really really good),

i would check out the book called "launching the imagination, i think stewart is the auther..." these are two really good books.. anyway

as far as png and jpeg are concerned. i have always saved my files as jpeg...but i usually use crazy resolution like 400-2500 that way if i need to blow somthing up really big i can.
i think png just stores more information maybe... i have forgotn about that...

opk well i hope i helped you out a little. and keep it up man
-malcon

FOR HIRE! malconpierce@gmail.com

jesusfreak200974

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, here is one (hopefully final) attempt:

I am just worried about the placement of the text. I think it looks kinda awkward where it is, i just don't know why. anyhow, the text is easier to read, as i made it bigger and gave it a small white outer glow. I also gave it a one pixel very dark red inner stroke, just so the inner and outer glows wouldn't mesh and make it look 'fluffy'. so I hope this one is better (certainly better than the first). Thanks for all your help so far! Big Grin

malcon

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes man, this looks way stronger. the text isnt hard to read and the compasition is much more balanced. the outerglow makes the letters really stand out so you dont have to strain to see whats going on. the subtle red stroke is cool too. anyway as far as placment, the text works good there. the empty space that was there before didnt make sense. the eye wasnt drawn to the text or to the figure so it juswt kinda got lost in that area....making it boring. now when i look at the signiture i see the figure and follow that to the text and then back to the figure. it has a nice flow to it. but like i said somtimes symetry can be rather boring so be carefull with that. that book that i told you about has all kinda of great examples and different kinds of things to try. anyway this looks great. keep it up man. im glad i could help out.
-malcon

jesusfreak200974

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks a lot for helping me! i'll be sure to find those books you reccomended, and thanks for helping me with my signature! :-)

deeann

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great. Lots of energy. And it's hard to find a cooler font than that.
search

http://www.google.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Design and Graphic Reviews All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: