PhotoshopForums.com Home
Navigate Contact FAQ Search Members
Portfolio layouts, comment plz...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Design and Graphic Reviews
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Please contact us.

TheJudge

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 4:16 pm    Post subject: Portfolio layouts, comment plz... Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm working on a portfolio site. The idea is to make different designs so you can switch from design just to load in a new css file.

I tried to be as original as possible, its not easy ;)

First design is a golf course, a bit weird i know. I just gotta find out where i'm gonna place the content, etc... So this one is still WIP.

Second design is complete different. Still not sure about the submenu "office, netwerken, multimedia and modules" ..Any comments?

Thirth design is also WIP, and I'm kinda stuck on this one, i don't know about the content area and the footer. Any ideas?

Plz comment, also tips and ideas are welcome!

Thx in advance,

Jonas

Moi

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i like the second one alot!
looks very good imo.
the first and the last are a bit too flashy i think!
the golfcoart is indeed original, but i guess it would be better to use for
golf related content and not as a portfolio for your work!
the last one, i don't like the texture and colors, but that 's just personal taste i guess!

helcyon

PS Version: CS3

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

those are pretty cool. I dont know if i like the idea of pretty much putting "skins" on your site. I think you should just do the one. You can always change it later. The second/middle option is the best out of the three, for what you are going for, your portfolio site. The golf one would be cool for something else tho. It does look good. The last designs colors and textures i do like, but not for this portfolio. The navigation on the top is also a little funny. It doesnt go with the style of the texture and colors.

So My opinion is to work on the middle one and tweak it until its just right, and stick with just that layout. Dont give them the option to change it. (just IMO). Here are some ideas on that one tho. The whole top navigation bar should be moved left so the edge of the curve is in alignment with the side of the main box. Or you might want to try expanding/shrinking the boxes so that the line on "showcase's" box lines up with one of the pictures below. Or even have them aligned over the boxes since there are 4 pics and 4 nav buttons. (again these are all ideas, and they might suck. but you have to actually try it to see if it works or doesnt work)

Over on the tab with 6,7,8, the line right there is kind of annoying. It does go with the style and i do like it. But make it either obviously seperating the 3 roman numerals, or obviosuly not. Where its at now looks kind of like its supposed to be on the baseline, but not quite.

ok and on the submenu, here are some ideas.
the text looks kind of like its floating there. Either work on the typography to integrate it more, like putting layer masks and then using one of your grung brushes. Not so much to make it illegible tho. Or add some graphic elements. Maybe some light bars/boxes. maybe even wth rounded edges like on the top for some unity. Or maybe you could even use the cracks to seperate the words. Not hard lines, but something that will show seperation, yet not tottaly obvious.

ok sorry for long post. But they do all look good. Im just throwing out ideas to possibly push it to the next level. Also these kinds of posts are better than, "o that looks cool" (which is what most people seem to do)

but anyway, yeah looks good man

helcyon

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh one more thing. The main box has a drop shadow giving the image some depth, but it might look good to apply more of a mixed color to the background. VS just having a solid color with some cracks. Kind of like gradients, but DONT use any of the auoto stuff. Just make it real subtle. It will give it more of an atmosphere.

I copied the pic and did something REAL quick to give u an idea. I also nudged the nav bar over.

also on the 3rd design you have. Although it doesnt work with this project, it might on something else. But an idea for that is to just move the navigation to the seperating line that "portfolio" sits on instead of the top of the image.

Pixelist

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I, too, like design 2 best. (maybe my monitor, but it's a bit dark to read easily)

I think the idea of having different CSS sheets is interesting. I suppose you've seen the CSS Zen Garden.

I'd try it if i didn't find CSS to be such a pain in the tuckus.

TheJudge

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

New updates for the 2nd design.
I changed the buttons, the submenu on the left. I removed the curly stuff below.
Changed the background color en added some depth.
I gotta find something new for below.
Wich one is better?

Plz comment...

helcyon

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good job man. I like it. At first i liked the 1st design because it was more asymmetrical. After comparing the two, i perfer the second design where everything is pretty much symmetrical. Something about it just looks better to me. I think it is the bottom menu. If you keep that layout, make sure the words are evenly spaced, and the whole thing centered.

with the quote, there shouldnt be any hyphenations. I would probably break to the next line after "present." You might also want to change the character properties of either the quote or the name using bold or itallics or something.

i like the showcase logo-type thing. mess around with size and placement, if nothing else looks better, leave it there.

i do like the new nav buttons. But how come the roman numerals are in a decending order? and what are those going to do??

and lastly, i actually liked the squiggly vine... lol. if you dont like it dont use it. i think it might look good if it was moved over to the left side.

But yeah it looks good. i like it

TheJudge

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

helcyon wrote:
good job man. I like it. At first i liked the 1st design because it was more asymmetrical. After comparing the two, i perfer the second design where everything is pretty much symmetrical. Something about it just looks better to me. I think it is the bottom menu. If you keep that layout, make sure the words are evenly spaced, and the whole thing centered.

with the quote, there shouldnt be any hyphenations. I would probably break to the next line after "present." You might also want to change the character properties of either the quote or the name using bold or itallics or something.

i like the showcase logo-type thing. mess around with size and placement, if nothing else looks better, leave it there.

i do like the new nav buttons. But how come the roman numerals are in a decending order? and what are those going to do??

and lastly, i actually liked the squiggly vine... lol. if you dont like it dont use it. i think it might look good if it was moved over to the left side.

But yeah it looks good. i like it

thx for the usefull tips.

I think I'll go with the second design then. The links on the bottom menu, would you do them in html or just slice the links also in photoshop en have a rollover?

The idea behind the quote is to have different quotes on each page. You're right about the the italic or bold thing, but I think I'm gonna have the quotes in html, not an image.

The roman numerals should be in the acending order ;)
The idea is to have 3 different CSS files, each button loads in a new css file. If you have any ideas to another function for these nav buttons?
Maybe some subtle changes, different background color, or something totally different?

What do you mean by the squiggly vine? Move to the left?

helcyon

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

humm i dont know too much about actual web design stuff yet. Im guessing you could go either way. the html or rollover slices. You could probably do something really cool with slices, but basic html would be just fine and people probably wouldnt care that much. So its up to you man.

quotes on the diff pages is cool and the html there is also fine.

so with the buttons that change the css, are u just meaning that it will only change the character and paragraph properties, or is it like ur orgiginal idea where the WHOLE image and layout changes?
if your going with that, i wouldnt do it like u have above where the entire theme changes. But maybe it could just be slightly diff color schemes and positioning of things.

one of ur changes was getting rid of the squiggly line at the bottom of the design. i kind of liked that. it looks kind of like a vine with some leaves on it. But im thinkin it looks fine without it.

TheJudge

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

helcyon wrote:
humm i dont know too much about actual web design stuff yet. Im guessing you could go either way. the html or rollover slices. You could probably do something really cool with slices, but basic html would be just fine and people probably wouldnt care that much. So its up to you man.

quotes on the diff pages is cool and the html there is also fine.

so with the buttons that change the css, are u just meaning that it will only change the character and paragraph properties, or is it like ur orgiginal idea where the WHOLE image and layout changes?
if your going with that, i wouldnt do it like u have above where the entire theme changes. But maybe it could just be slightly diff color schemes and positioning of things.

one of ur changes was getting rid of the squiggly line at the bottom of the design. i kind of liked that. it looks kind of like a vine with some leaves on it. But im thinkin it looks fine without it.

I made the site in xhtml now.

http://users.pandora.be/mywebspace23/Portfolio/index.htm

I made images of the menubuttons. Nice rollovers?

Still gotta work on the other buttons and the content. I just put something quick under profile.

grtz

Last edited by TheJudge on Thu Dec 29, 2005 9:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Design and Graphic Reviews All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: