PhotoshopForums.com Home
Navigate Contact FAQ Search Members
Tranqulity
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Design and Graphic Reviews
 See a User Guidelines violation? Please contact us.

BoomingCreation

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 8:55 pm    Post subject: Tranqulity Reply with quote

Well Ive been wanting to work on my space alot by alot, instead of the same ol flaming pear plugin.. So i worked on this using greg martins tutorials. I used terragen as u can tell for the land part. I hope everyone likes but I of course want opinions

Datameister

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like this idea a lot. Still, I'd like to give a little feedback to help you improve your future artwork even more.

First of all, be careful with the lens flare filter. In general, you should NEVER use the lens flare filter without doing something to change its appearance. Those circular artifacts are dead giveaways that you simply used Photoshop's built-in lens flare filter; that immediately detracts from the realism and originality of the piece. You can use Radial Blur to get rid of those artifacts--just place the blur center at the lens flare itself.

Second, be careful of letting stars become grayish. I see no less than 4 lens flare stars in this piece without white centers. This can happen if you're using Levels or Curves, or if you reduce the brightness value in Hue and Saturation, or if you turn down the opacity of the layer. Make sure every star has a white center. In general, a star's brightness affects its apparent size in the image, not the brightness value of its center.

The Terragen stuff is looking good, but I'd recommend using Levels or Curves to darken the shadow areas. These look washed-out and grayish. Also, I don't see any horizon... Confused

Anyway, looking good. Keep up the great work, and never be afraid to post it! Thanks for sharing. :)

BoomingCreation

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i appreciate it as always :) not bad for making those stars my 1st time Big Grin

Jersey Hacker

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like all of that stuff, id love to learn how to do scenes like that, did you follow a tutorial or anyting, and also, could you tell me how hyou did the bit at the bottom, you know with the water and mountains, id love to know how to do that, could youplease tell me, and if you used terragen, is it easy to use?

Free File Uploader for Everyone to use
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Price

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't do anythin' like that mate, good job. Much improved!

Tristan Gray

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lighting needs some work because the nebula brightness and the planet's brightness and just generaly brightness seems off. For the lighting sources present in the image I would say the planet is too bright. Although the planet looks good it looks a bit 'generated'. Maybe do more texturizing and shading yourself to make it a bit more 'your own'. Lens flares are a dangerous breed but can be used tastefully. I would not use them for stars though most likely. I'd try copying the star lens flare and then texturizing it some using the smudge tool or something just to make your stars stand out versus everyone else's. The water edges against the rocks and the light effects seem a little to jagged or sharp or something.

All that being said it is a very nice image and I can tell that in time you are going to be very good at this kind of scene. My favourite part is definitely the clouds. Maybe add some stars on the transitional area from space to atmosphere too. Love the sky.

BoomingCreation

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ya after looking at the stars I can really see whats wrong with it, lol.

the planet came out fuzzy and i really dont know why, ill get better at it in time i guess.

jersey hacker, I used terragen on the moutains and water and clouds. at 1st it can be a lil hard to use, i still dont know half of what it can do. But Its a fun program to use

Jersey Hacker

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive just started using terragen, please look at my thread for my terragen stuff here:

http://www.photoshopforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=4186

Free File Uploader for Everyone to use
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Shadow™

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok.. my turn.., first of all the whole thing looks down in quality, which immidiatly takes away from the image, never use the lens flare unless you know the ins and outs of it, if you use it wrong, it will take away from your image, and they should be diffrent sizes each, never the same, I made a quick stars tutorial on this site, there's no need to be fancy when doing stars, cuz usually if you try something fancy, you'll fail and it will look bad.

The planet is only one color and embossed, your colors should be varried, and it doesnt look very realistic, the atmosphere needs to be more clear, and the shadows need to be fixed. don't brush your textures, Greg Martin does it well, but there's probably something he's not telling us lol, look for stock photo's and manipulate them, that's how I make my textures.

from the variation from sky to space.. the realism is lacking there aswell. The planet shouldnt overlap the sky, on the other hand there shouldnt really be much of a sky, because when u look at the sky at night, you see the stars very clearly, and there's a horizon on the terragen render, when there shouldn't be, terraspace is the trickiest part of space art though. Anyways, keep it up. it's pretty good, just hope this helped some.

BoomingCreation

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks shadow
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Design and Graphic Reviews All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: