PhotoshopForums.com Home
Navigate Contact FAQ Search Members
Which version?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> General Photoshop and Design Discussion
 See a User Guidelines violation? Please contact us.

240TVol

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 12:24 pm    Post subject: Which version? Reply with quote

Hello,

I have been browsing the forums for awhile and have been admiring everyones work from afar and finally decided to join. Let it be said that I am going to be using this program for personal preference/non-job related mostly. But I have a question for everyone...

-What version of Photoshop should I purchase?

I have quite a grip on the fundamentals of this program but one thing troubles me. Upon searching various websites, Amazon in particular since it seems to have the cheapest prices, people have rated CS/CS2 poorly and Photoshop 7.0 seems to have the best ratings. That is why I am asking =). Also:

-Do you recommend purchasing Illustrator also? Or is that unecessary?

Thank you for your time.

Corrinthia

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would go with the latest version, CS2. It has a lot of added features that come in handy, such as the new abilty to tilt your grids, giving you more control over image distortion, cloning, horizon, and such. Im also a fan of Photoshop 7.0, I still have it on my computer. As long as you stick with 7.0 or above, you will be fine. CS2 also comes with Adobe Bridge which gives you access to their stock photo site, organization tools, and some other things.

As for illustrator, I actually was not a fan of it at all until I went to one of the seminars for CS2 and relized how many nifty things you can do in illustrator CS2 now...including Live Trace. Its good for creating design elements, vector styles, and flat images.

noosaman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no question - CS2. Barrel and pincushion distortion correction and some of the new refined Raw features alone make it worth while.

ronmatt

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

couple of things to consider. You can't get any Adobe product at cut rate prices. (unless you're a student) If somehow you do, be sure that you can register it. It may be a pirated version.
If you are a pro photographer, then I'd advisePS CS2. Except for some enhanced photo features, CS and CS2 are virtually PS7. Illustrator, [any version] has a more stringent learning curve, but Illustrator and Photoshop are really designed to work hand in hand. Keep in mind that PS is Raster, which means that the images you produce are pixels and are jagged no matter what you do. Illustrator images are vector, mathematical lines and curves that are scalable to any size and print much crisper. Bottom line is, what do you intend to do with them, and how deep is your pocket.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> General Photoshop and Design Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: