PhotoshopForums.com Home
Navigate Contact FAQ Search Members
Evil ant (vector art)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Design and Graphic Reviews
 See a User Guidelines violation? Please contact us.

Xopods

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 6:51 am    Post subject: Evil ant (vector art) Reply with quote

This is an early attempt of mine to turn one of my hand-drawn characters into a vector graphic in Illustrator. I'm planning on starting up a web comic at some point, though I don't think this guy is actually going to be one of the characters. It's a pity, since I like him, but an insane devil-ant doesn't really fit with the story line I have in mind. Maybe I'll slip him in somewhere in the background.

Evil ant.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  58.66 KB
 Viewed:  1545 Time(s)

Evil ant.jpg

teddc

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love it
ted

Haunus

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find him hilarious, good job.

cyborg

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that looks very good...very clean.....my question is how do people use illustrator??? ive tried it and i dont really like it...u try to do something and it does the opposite.

Haunus

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cyborg wrote:
that looks very good...very clean.....my question is how do people use illustrator??? ive tried it and i dont really like it...u try to do something and it does the opposite.

Lots of practice...but I dont have illustrator.

Xopods

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Photoshop, Illustrator is something you need someone to teach you. Just messing around with the tools without someone to explain the theory will be an exercise in frustration.

That said, Illustrator is essentially just one tool - the pen tool (well, that plus gradient meshes, if you want to create 3D-looking things). For many Photoshop users, the pen tool is the invention of Satan, but if you're going to do Illustrator, you have to learn to love it. No use trying to draw free-hand with a mouse, and all the tools in Illustrator are essentially just the pen in various disguises.

Once you've got the Bezier curves down, it's just about learning how to start thinking of a drawing in terms of layered shapes (lots of them - that ant consists of something like 80 separate paths) instead of lines. I recommend doing it by hand for a while first before using Illustrator - it's more intuitive that way. Get a sheet of white paper for a canvas, a pair of scissors, some glue and lots of colored construction paper and get creative with that. That's much more similar to Illustrator than either Photoshop or hand-drawing with a pencil is.

Moi

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it looks realy nice Big Wink
congrats!

ZiN

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dam, pro dude

You may know everything on photoshop, but without ideas or creativty, theres no point in using it. - ZiN
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Design and Graphic Reviews All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: