PhotoshopForums.com Home
Navigate Contact FAQ Search Members
My third design of a triptych
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Design and Graphic Reviews
 See a User Guidelines violation? Please contact us.

mur38

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:11 am    Post subject: My third design of a triptych Reply with quote

My first real attempt at a design from scratch with no tutorial to follow, and I was pretty happy with it.

mountainash.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  92.74 KB
 Viewed:  614 Time(s)

mountainash.jpg

malcon

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey man whats up. im glad to see sombody doing some digital painting! this is a great start man!. the balance is good. i like the concept also!
here are some quick tips that i think could make this image even better.
the bark on the tree kinda look a little to much like fur. i would try making the fibers longer. or adding some sort of motion blur to it...

i like your clouds alot actually but the light rays that are shining through them dont agree with the shape of the clouds. i think they are to symetrical and the same. remember light that shines through will have different levels of ambience to them.

i like how you have made the mountains that are farther back in the picture lighter indicating the atmousphere. but i think the mountains in the very back need to be lighter. and the snow needs to be a little sharper.

anyway its looking good though!
keep it up
-malcon

FOR HIRE! malconpierce@gmail.com

mur38

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re:Mountain Ash Reply with quote

Hey Mal,
Thanks for the advice.
Yeh, getting the light right and realistic is trickier than I thought because you have to sort of think 3 dimensionally and follow things back to where you imagine the light source to be and imagine how it plays on the environment.
The tree was originally just going to be very dark but at the last minute I stuck a pattern over it and dropped the opacity but then found it wasn't very editible after that, i.e the texture(which I hoped would look like bark) looked very rigid and I couldn't figure out how to get it to change direction and follow the branches in a horizontal direction intead of vertically(the smudge tool wouldn't smudge the pattern).
Ah well, its lots of fun and I will keep hacking away at it,
Once again thanks for the comments.
Mur
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Design and Graphic Reviews All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: