PhotoshopForums.com Home
Navigate Contact FAQ Search Members
Making a logo for the first time
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> General Photoshop and Design Discussion
 See a User Guidelines violation? Please contact us.

Fubsywubkis

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:42 am    Post subject: Making a logo for the first time Reply with quote

Hello all-

I am not sure if I am posting in the correct forum, as I do not have a logo created yet. The logo that I want to create would be for a Youtube channel and later on my own website and maybe even things like a Podcast or a Ustream, which means I would love to be able to make a logo that I could then play around with to fit the different sizes and shapes (e.g. as my Profile picture, to add in the first 3 seconds of any video I make, as a banner atop my website, etc). It is for a high-level professional Video Game commentary website for Starcraft 2, but in Spanish. As such, I don't want the usual 12-year-old throw everything in your face at once font. I would like to make one that actually looks very professional.

This will be my first attempt at making logos and images in photoshop, and I am not sure on some of the basics, and as such I have a few questions: (I have included, at the bottom, a screenshot of what type of logo I am trying to make)

1-What are my priorities in making a logo? In my mind, I imagine it's making the text first, using the name I have chosen, then after that making a background, then adding in any special effects/pictures?

2-Are there any basic tutorials floating around about first-time logo makers? I checked the tutorial forum, but those were all 2 or 3 levels above what I understand. Where can I go for a more basic tutorial? (I am using a Mac, if it makes a difference)

3-If you look at the screenshots, I have drawn arrows to the logo I am speaking of. In these videos, the creators have super-imposed their logo over a specific part of the screen, blocking out the game clock (the games are replays, and it's no fun if you know exactly when it is going to end, as some suspension is removed). I'm pretty sure they add that in post-production, but I'm still not 100% sure how they did it. I will be using the Mac Application ScreenFlow, and if anyone could also toss in a tip about how to superimpose the logo, that would be great.

Lastly, these videos will be broadcast in 1080p, which means it needs to have a crisp, clean look to it.

I hope my post isn't too long, and I appreciate any/all help that I may receive. Thanks in advance!

Logo Example.jpg
 Description:
The 3 arrows show what logo I am speaking of.
 Filesize:  186.8 KB
 Viewed:  261 Time(s)

Logo Example.jpg

Auieos

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do some research on fonts and find out which ones are suitable for your genre. Do you want things like capitals and serifs. Are you going to modify parts of the text/fonts. Can the logo be made into a non-textual icon. With logos, less is more. Find some inspiration. http://logopond.com/

Take you time and get feedback. You probably don't need a tutorial for a logo, once you know the type of look your after you may need a tut then to achieve that special background or font etc.

*Most video production is just like photoshop, you will have to import the image file into the production library and place on a layer above the original video, i don't own mac but should be simple.

K-touch

PS Version: CS, CS2, CS3, CS4

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:15 am    Post subject: Re: Making a logo for the first time Reply with quote

Hi there,

As I know from design, you need to first draw a few logos on paper, then try creating that logo in Illustrator first, cause that's the software all logo designers use for logo design. then once you like a particular logo design of yours, import it as a smart object in photoshop and give it some FX, and there are heeps of FX in photoshop.

And the slowly you'll get the hang of it and you'll start getting different ideas..
So try that, you might get somewhere... : )

http://www.kantabiz.com/videos.php
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> General Photoshop and Design Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: