PhotoshopForums.com Home
Navigate Contact FAQ Search Members
Layers problems
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Tools and Panels
 See a User Guidelines violation? Please contact us.

boredagain

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:49 am    Post subject: Layers problems Reply with quote

I used to be a paint.net user, but started using photoshop today (still trial), and it's either the most annoying program ever, or I have a problem

1- Everytime I add a shape it must be added to a new layer, and I can't add to background??

2- I can't view multiple layers, the eye icon is there on all layers, but i can only see the selected layer and the background (if i select multiple layers none are viewed, only the background)

3- I drew a rectangle shape, and decided to select the it's left side, a press DELETE, expecting I will have a 3 sided rectangle, what i got is a layer deletion..

Currently frustrated, just wondering, are those problems and can they be fixed??

hawkeye

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The shape tool makes a "shape layer". Shape layers are different than regular layers. If you want to cut something from a "shape layer", you need to use a layer mask. Paint on the mask with black to conceal and white to reveal.

If you want to add something to the background layer, use one of the drawing tools (lasso, marque tools, etc.) and fill it with color.

By the way, you are always better off using layers rather than adding something directly to the background. This is called non-destructive editing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Tools and Panels All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: