PhotoshopForums.com Home
Navigate Contact FAQ Search Members
I have a drawing, and I need to know what the best method is
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Design and Graphic Reviews
 See a User Guidelines violation? Please contact us.

Wombat_Assassin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:39 pm    Post subject: I have a drawing, and I need to know what the best method is Reply with quote

Hey everyone, I have this image http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/845/connordrawing.jpg/ Which I drew with a black ink pen. It's about 5cm high, and the same wide. I have a few of these in this style, and I wanted to make them bigger, maybe 60cm x 60cm. I've scanned it into my computer and via photoshop I can remove the colour imperfections I.E. make it 100% black, but the edges aren't smooth, and it looks REALLY terrible when I blow it up to 60cm. I was thinking about trying to sell a few of them, but it'll never happen if they just look blurry like it does at the moment.

I've tried using a projector and re-drawing it out but it doesn't work well. I'm not too familiar with Photoshop, and was wondering if anyone else would be able to help out. Or if there is any other way to do it I would HUGELY appreciate it if someone could help me out. Thanks everyone who contributes in some way, I will send you a FREE full size version of any of my drawings! =D

thehermit

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Wombat_Assassin (great name btw, could only be better if it were a womble ;) )

I am sure if you posted this in the freebie section of the forum, someone would have a go for you and do a great job. As you posted here however, let me show you a tutorial or two that could sort you out so you don't need other people.

If using Photoshop I can't imagine using anything other than the Pen Tool for this type of work. If you ever wanted to 'transfer' your work to another program like Illustrator then the same principles apply.

After you learn the ins and outs of the Pen tool, then I would perhaps go on to making it a Shape

As I say, if you want someone to do it for you, it shouldn't be a problem, but post it in the paid or freebie section, if you have a large number of them though, it would be cheaper/better in the long run to learn to do it yourself. :)

jerryb4417

PS Version: photoshop cs5

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi,
well first... as far as size, cm or inches, etc, that only for printing otherwise pixel resolution what important... n in this case it appears to be only a 640x480 that sort of small and when printed i think only about about 3x4 inch be about largest printing side.... hense your going toprint larger than than then you need to boost your resolution

next...
scanning.... i suggest rescan
and rescan at about 200-300 ppi... you'll have more data to work with ..
also... manual adjust your brightness and contrast.. many times the auto adjustments don't work that well....

now .... there several way to approach this and i hope other jump in
now the image i work with was dirty raggedy on the edges...

one meathod i used which smooth the edges out enlaaaaaaaarge
1. i adjusted toget a good contrast
2. then made a selection ....
3. i also then used the refine edge tool to furth smooth the edges
4. the i use transform to enlarge the selection
5. i created a new layer and then painted in the selection ...

now you may want to enlarge the canvase before enlarging the selection you want image tobe nice and large so that when you print to a smaller size the edges will look clean ....

in addition ..... if your going to do this a lot... it might be better to get a good free vector program a lot of them had a tool espcially for outlining the edgesand fill in with paint ......
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Design and Graphic Reviews All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: