PhotoshopForums.com Home
Navigate Contact FAQ Search Members
How to best deal with photo blur - Sharpening?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Photography
 See a User Guidelines violation? Please contact us.

supersi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:09 pm    Post subject: How to best deal with photo blur - Sharpening? Reply with quote

I'm using Photoshop CS5.5 (64 bit).

A photographer took indoor pictures under fluorescent light of my wife and I.
There was a Christmas tree behind us. He used a slower exporsure to try and bring out the treel lights but it's resulted in a lot of images like this one...

This is a cropped, zoomed-in image. As you can see there's a lot of blur between my Wife's face and the background. What can I do to correct this and how?
I'm a real novice photoshop user.

jerryb4417

PS Version: photoshop cs5

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi,
this looks like motion blur, that my first thoughts... and it severe...

but first let me say you will need to do some sharpening and maybe alittle correction...

be that said.... it lookslike motion blur .. now photoshop does have a setting for this under smart sharpening...

Now I tried that and it didn't help, it not good enough,.... now what you might check out.... since you have quite a few pictures.... focus magic... beside does good sharpening it can do a wonderfull job and better with motion blur than ps does.. if you go that route then suggest try before you buy.....

otherwise.... , and idon't know what the rest ofthe image looks but. masking face off or just selecting the black areas I would do cloning from one dark to the "orange shadow" that work well for me...

i got a feeling your going to do a lot of selection/masking/cloning and maybe couple of other things to get these pictures nice and clean and sharp ....
butlike i said motionblur is very difficult..

renata

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I can't see the photo, but there's one trick worth trying.
1) Duplicate the layer (control j)
2) On the top duplicate, use filter > other > high pass
The image will look grey with outlines.. Tweak the control so you get the best edge you can.
3) Change the blend mode of this layer to "overlay".

Might or might not help, but worth a try.

As I said, I can't see the picture, but if the colour's wrong, you can try curves on it. Try clicking the white eyedropper on different parts of the image that should be "white". Or dry the middle (grey) eyedopper on parts o fthe image that should be neutral, or grey. Sometimes just a single click can do wonders.

Hope that helps.

renata

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, NOW I see the picture. It's a mystery...

Anyway, I had a quick play. Here's what I tried:

- quick selection tool to select the right hand side
- control j to put this on a layer by itself and paint over just the bright blurred bits using the same color as the rest o fthe background
- use the 'high pass' method described earlier to crisp the edges BUT I used a layer mask so that it ONLY crisps the main edge running down the middle(otherwise the damn thing brings out lots of detail that you don't want).

Anyway, you can fiddle with it a lot more than that and get it how you want it, I think. If this is along the lines of what you're looking for and you need to know more, just ask.

seaco

PS Version: CC

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't see the pic?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Photography All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: