PhotoshopForums.com Home
Navigate Contact FAQ Search Members
Help needed "jazzing up banners"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Design and Graphic Reviews
 See a User Guidelines violation? Please contact us.

bendybully

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:59 am    Post subject: Help needed "jazzing up banners" Reply with quote

Hi all,

Im trying to make these banners look more impressive, its mainly the bar across the bottom where i put the text and also the text where i put things like "July Pre-Orders"

Heres the one i currently use so you can see what i mean

And one where i just cut and pasted a bar thing from another image that i thought looked "cooler"

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I just seem to be useless with fonts and this kind of thing Frown

Thanks

Auieos

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They look good already.

Maybe add some drop shadow to the July Pre Orders bit.
Some halftone effect like they have in comics.
Use a comic font.

The edges on the word 'illuminations' look a bit off.

Anyway like I said I think they look good already, they don't appear unfinished or anything.

Check out other peoples work and pinch all their good ideas. Big Wink

bendybully

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback

The top banner is the one i currently use, the bottom one like you say is one where i nicked the "illuminations" bit to show you other ideas :)

How do you do the halftone effect? The thing i have from not being experienced with photoshop is i see a lot of bits id like to do but dont actually know how to do them and end up spending days looking at tutorials that usually are wrong (or im looking at the wrong ones) Frown

One of the main problems i have is what is the best way to cut out logos and characters? Ive watched the tutorial on youtube where the horse is cut out and all the areas are added in (hope this makes sense) but when i try it goes tits up. Can anyone tell me the best way for example to cut out the logo for this image or even a character off a cover without leaving a rough edge around them please

Again any help i really do appreciate and helps a amateur like me out no end!

Thank you

Hulkpage1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  43.13 KB
 Viewed:  741 Time(s)

Hulkpage1.jpg

Auieos

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The easiest way to get halftone for someone without much Photoshop experience would be custom halftone brushes.

There are some available here for free.
http://blueblots.com/freebies/200-extremely-free-halftone-adobe-photoshop-brushes/
Place the files you download in the \Presets\Brushes folder inside the Photoshop directory.

Cutting out things in Photoshop is an entire science unto itself.
General consensus is that using the pen tool to create outlines for cutting is at the pinnacle of all selection techniques.
Unfortunately the pen tool loves to perplex and exhaust those who are not familiar with her fickle ways.

Rough edges can be avoided by using the 'refine edge' option while either the marquee of lasso tools are currently selected. (see pic)
Also make sure that you have the anti-alias box checked with the tools mentioned above.

Here is a good easy to follow tutorial on using the pen tool to cut out a character.
http://www.melissaevans.com/tutorials/how-to-use-photoshops-pen-tool
If you learn to do it the right way initially then you wont fall into the trap of getting comfortable with bad techniques.

Untitled-2.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  44.24 KB
 Viewed:  731 Time(s)

Untitled-2.png

costisefu

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe you overfill with details.
make it as simple as possible, so the message can popup and hit the brain.

K-touch

PS Version: CS, CS2, CS3, CS4

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 1:04 am    Post subject: Re: Help needed "jazzing up banners" Reply with quote

Hey these are great designs... :)

http://www.kantabiz.com/videos.php
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Design and Graphic Reviews All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: