PhotoshopForums.com Home
Navigate Contact FAQ Search Members
Editing vintage and not so vintage photos (3)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Photography
 See a User Guidelines violation? Please contact us.

avz10

PS Version: 7

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:08 pm    Post subject: Editing vintage and not so vintage photos (3) Reply with quote

This photo is not so old, but a photo of my late brother taken in the early 60's. My mother laminated the photo, now it is fading. For me this is really hard to get better!

K-touch

PS Version: CS, CS2, CS3, CS4

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: Editing vintage and not so vintage photos (3) Reply with quote

woooooo there is a lot of work on this image, colour correction, retouching, cloning.. heaps..

http://www.kantabiz.com/videos.php

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah i think some contrast.. some sharpness and a lot of retouching could save this one!

jerryb4417

PS Version: photoshop cs5

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi,
my 2 cents worth..... also let us know if further questions or thoughts from you we always like to hear what we say is helpfull or not... smiling....
anyway...
1. it is salvageble,a lot of work but it would be worth it.. ... generally with a poor image you want to scan at a high resolution to get the most data out of it...... minimum 300 probably higher and definetly scan in color... you may need to turn off the scanner auto preset adjustmens , sometimes they cause more problems than fix, .. and just manually make the scanner adjustments ( contrast, brightness, etc..)

2. i would isolate the boy and goat, either copy paste to a layer or use mask.... and just work on them seperately .. some rebuilding there. adding some details, alittle dodge and burn, some sharpening, etc.....
3. of course on the wall and tht can be a seperate layer,,, defintielysome cloning and and using the healingbrush maybe contentent aware fill tool for the bigger scratches, etc.... this is where maybe letting us know what ps version you have.. not all version have the same capability..

thehermit

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take it into Photoshop, use a black and white adjustment layer or take it back to black and white and then go channel surfing and colour space surfing for the best details in the channels. Use this to construct the basis of the retouch.

Don't be tempted to try and drag too much from the image in one or two steps, global changes like sharpening won't do any favours for the image in the long run.

Also don't get hung up on the image having to look like new, just concentrate on conserving what you have from the original image and then improving it digitally.

I am not sure about other members of the forum, but I would be willing to take a look at the image if you want and see if I can suggest further help or action. Do you have a link or could you post a link to a high res version?

I understand given the sensitive and private nature of the image if you prefer not to do this in a public forum.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Photography All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: