PhotoshopForums.com Home
Navigate Contact FAQ Search Members
Cropping rounded corners off image
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Tools and Panels
 See a User Guidelines violation? Please contact us.

buttons888

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:41 am    Post subject: Cropping rounded corners off image Reply with quote

I have a small banner (see attachment) I have created and want to crop the rounded corners off so that I can put it on any background...

I have tried various ways of doing this with the magic wand tool and deleting, with the trim option, with the crop option but the image always remains square - I am able to delete the pixels in the corners and be left with the grey/white transparency palette underneath, but when I save it as a jpg/png I just want them gone, not still showing the transparency pixels. I am not totally new to photoshop but either have a massive blank on how to do this, or just am dumb?! :P

There must be a way to do this? Can somebody please help? I am pulling my hair out! Bawling

test .jpg
 Description:
Top right and left corners need to be gone, rounded... the white down the sides is actually like a gradient and is ok to stay.
 Filesize:  20.27 KB
 Viewed:  1737 Time(s)

test .jpg

renata

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I can't see your picture. Note that you won't get transparency in a jpeg (it doesn't support transparency).

You can save transparency in a png, though. Make sure that you are only showing the exact layers that you want to be in the final file. Note that Save for Web makes it easy because it shows you a preview of what you're saving and lets you experiment with a few options. Good luck.

buttons888

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

renata wrote:
Sorry, I can't see your picture. Note that you won't get transparency in a jpeg (it doesn't support transparency).

You can save transparency in a png, though. Make sure that you are only showing the exact layers that you want to be in the final file. Note that Save for Web makes it easy because it shows you a preview of what you're saving and lets you experiment with a few options. Good luck.
Hi renata, thanks for replying. I did try the png cause I know about the transparency, but I don't want the transparency layer showing at all, I just want the image shape to follow the curved lines of the rounded corners.. shame you can't see the pic, will try to amend that.

I don't think I've explained it very well (and less helpful cause you can't see the pic :-( ) but the "transparency palette" that I was talking about is the grey and white checkerboard base... if you add a new layer and put nothing in it, it's THAT that's showing through, and actually saving it as part of the final image... when I want the edges to close in around the exact shape... It must be possible cause nothing in life is square hehe!!

Even when it's only ONE layer, just the image and I've filled the white corners with a colour, masked the area and deleted, left with the transparency checkerboard underneath but it won't make the edges snug in... I can't think how better to try to explain it.. will try to fix the image so it can be seen... Thanks!!

test .jpg
 Description:
Just the corners need to be gone, the white/light pixels down the left and right sides are gradient and can stay..
 Filesize:  20.27 KB
 Viewed:  1723 Time(s)

test .jpg

renata

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not fully clear if I've understood what you're after. Is it that you want to save the buttons with rounded corners which are transparent under the corners?

I know that you're aware of the png transparency facility, but the example you've posted (I can see it, sorry, my fault) is a jpeg. A jpeg is never going to let you show transparency.

To save as a png, check out the 'save for web' dialog boxes. Choose png and make sure the 'transparency' box is ticked. Note that a gif also supports transparency, but is better when you only have a few solid blocked colours.

I'm attaching an example png. Sorry if I've misunderstood, if so, keep asking.

temp.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  3.15 KB
 Viewed:  1714 Time(s)

temp.png

buttons888

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Renata thanks so much for your help... I've not tried it yet as haven't been around the computer long enough the last day and a bit... but will certainly try what you did cause it looks just right (curved top edges...) I'm not sure I'll get the method right but will definitely try and if I can't get it let you know..

I'm so grateful you took the time to post!

Thanks... hopefully will be sorted now!

Birthday Big Grin

buttons888

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Renata!

Wow it's been ages since I've had time to write back on this, but yes it worked!! Thank you SO much for your help... I really appreciate it...

Thanks again! Angel
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Tools and Panels All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: