PhotoshopForums.com Home
Navigate Contact FAQ Search Members
Blue box "PSD -PSE" replaces picture???
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Photography
 See a User Guidelines violation? Please contact us.

smlee

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:07 pm    Post subject: Blue box "PSD -PSE" replaces picture??? Reply with quote

I did some layer work on a picture and saved it. But now it has changed from the picture to a blue box w/ above inscription (PSD PSD).
I can open the photo in photoshop, but cannot open it elsewhere. When I try to e-mail to myself I have a red bar and a lock through the photo.

How do I get back to the orig photo format with the enhancements that I have made?

Getting frustrated. Please help.

jerryb4417

PS Version: photoshop cs5

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi,
now the psd format is a propritary format... basically just photoshop and a few graphic viewer and conversion programs can open that format...

for other programs toopen you image you would need to save it as
png or jpg or tiff, etc...

in your photoshop instead of "save" click on "save as" and choose the format you want.. but keep in mind withformat like jpg... they merge all the visable layers in essentially one layer...

smlee

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help, but.....I changed the file name to a ".jpg" and now I have the picture replaced by another icon and I cannot open that one at all. The icon is a drawing of a camera and flower. I can't seen to undue the change either.

I know this is simple, I just can't figure it out. My photos that are accessible are labeled similar to: "_MG_3950_edited-1.jpg"

jerryb4417

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi,
generally that file icon generally refers to the default program tha open the file.... if i understand correctly what your saying...

can you reopen that new jpg in photoshop or mspaint?

also when you you change it to jpg you did designat in that format box that is supposed to be jpg... and you just didn't type in jpg

smlee

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cannot open it in photo shop w/ the camera and flower icon, which I too believe is a default setting.

You underdstand my problem.

I don't understanhjd what you mean by designating the new jpg in the format box.
What is a format box?
Where is it on the screen?
I may have just renamed the file a jpg under "save as"

I really appreciate your help.
Like I say, I'm sure this is a pretty simple solution, I just don't know what it is or how to do it.

renata

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a good chance that everything is fine and you're just not using the right program to open the right file.

The file with the .PSD suffix should open automatically in Photoshop. Don't try to open it with anything else.

When you save it as a jpeg, there are many other programs which are able to open it. You probably have something other than photoshop set as the default program for opening 'jpegs' (which is normal). This would be whatever program uses the camera/flower icon. You can still open it in Photoshop.

Try this (on Windows):

- Right click on your .jpeg file
- Move the cursor down to "Open With"
- You can now choose the program you want to open it with (e.g Photoshop, Paint, Internet Explorer...).

You will also see an option at the bottom of the "Open With' called 'Choose default program'. You can use this to set the program that you want to use by default to open all .jpegs.

One final tip. If you can't see the .jpg or .psd suffix when you are in Windows Explorer, you can set things so that it displays file suffixes:

When you are listing a folder, click
Tools>Folder Options>View.
Then uncheck the box for 'Hide extensions for known file types".

Hope this helps.

smlee

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! I think I got it!

I needed to flatten my layers then "save as:" a jpeg file in the format box.

Thanks everyone for your help! Really appreciate it!
- Steve

jerryb4417

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi,
you shouldn't have to flatten your layers before you save as a jpg....

just make sure you have all the layer you want visable turn on...

when you save as jpg it will automatically flatten all visable layers first wheh it save to jpg , that way you still have you original layer of your psd file...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Photography All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: