PhotoshopForums.com Home
Navigate Contact FAQ Search Members
Any ideas on how you would make this?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> General Photoshop and Design Discussion
 See a User Guidelines violation? Please contact us.

Lifted

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:53 pm    Post subject: Any ideas on how you would make this? Reply with quote

Click here before reading: http://i53.tinypic.com/307t8o1.png

I'm trying to make a design for a shirt and a team on XboxLIVE and I have no clue how to get wings to look like these ones. I love the style, the sharp edges and the shades of black at the tips. Also, how did they make the background and the blue streaks going horizontally across? Thank You :)

Auieos

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sharp edges are because the wings are most likely a vector graphic.
The shades of black at the tips of wings is a drop shadow FX.
Background is filled with a pattern then a gradient layer mask fading out the edges.
Blue streaks across background is probably motion blur filter on a duplicated layer of the wings underneath the original.

Good luck with the Tshirt, remember to work at 300ppi if not using vector.

Lifted

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips.
What tool should I use to re-create wings like these?
I'm not the best drawer so I got the outline nice but when I did the layer inside (the darker blue section) it didn't come out to look so nice, it just came out to look like a dark blue shape haha, it just doesn't blend really nicely. I'm not quite sure what to do for that, i have made logos but I never really draw anything. just make backgrounds and what not.

Auieos

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey no prob. Keep on chipping away at it.

Use the Pen Tool for shapes. Hand draw scans or digital images can be used for tracing.
If you already have a nice wing shape then you can cheat by selecting that shape then use the select > modify > contract/expand to get a smaller or larger outline of them.
Selections can also be turned into pen paths (make work path from selection in paths tab).
Selections can also be filled with patterns and colours (shift+F5).

Check out Adobe Illustrator if your interested in this type of work. It will save you so much time.

Lifted

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I really do need Ai.

What do you mean by "Hand draw scans or digital images can be used for tracing."?

Once again, thank you for helping me with this and, I never thought about contract/expand haha thank you.

It's getting to look better, if you wish; I could post my progress here so you can see how I'm doing?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> General Photoshop and Design Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: