PhotoshopForums.com Home
Navigate Contact FAQ Search Members
(Render) Lighting Effects, won't work
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Manipulation
 See a User Guidelines violation? Please contact us.

Stevekir

PS Version: CS6

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:48 pm    Post subject: (Render) Lighting Effects, won't work Reply with quote

iMac, OS 10.8.5 Photoshop CS 6. I have activated the Graphics Display Unit (or whatever it is called) and, with an image in Photoshop and its Layer selected, I do Filters > Render > Lighting Effects. I get the panel on the right called Properties and under it some sliders for Color, Hotspot, etc.

Burt moving the sliders makes no change to the image. Tutorials say that I should get a white eliptical shape with white blobs which should allow me to alter the lighting effects, ("Lighting Controls"?) but nothing appears. The tutorials show a "Preview Menu" should appear just under the three coloured blobs at the top left of the main window. That "Preview Menu" shows, from left to right, something like: a light bulb; Presets-Custom; Lights and three tiny blobs; something else; and at the right end, a check; Preview; Cancel; and OK in blue.

I think that "Preview Menu", with Preview checked, must appear before I can use the lighting controls on the image.

My Question: How the heck do I get to see a preview so that I can see and use the lighting controls? (I have spent many frustrating hours on this.)

Please see attached image. Thanks for any help.

Lighting Effects-3.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  146.74 KB
 Viewed:  7032 Time(s)

Lighting Effects-3.jpg

Stevekir

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:30 pm    Post subject: SOLVED! Reply with quote

SOLVED. Four of the tutorials on the Internet I studied, (including the one on the Adobe Forum which is for CS5) failed to mention two crucial steps, as follows:

1. In Photoshop (I have CS 6), Do: Preferences > Performance: Check "Use Graphics Processor" before starting to use the filter;

2. Convert the Layer holding your image to a Smart Object before starting to use the filter.

I discovered 1 somewhere on the Internet (not from any Adobe site), and 2 from the only tutorial I discovered that mentioned it:

http://www.adobepress.com/articles/article.asp?p=1860949

by Dan Moughamian of Pearson Press. A very good tutorial.

This has cost me 5 hours of frustration, just because several people did not write their tutorials properly, including the designer of the software itself (Adobe). The trouble is, I think, that experts are so familiar with their subject that they take for granted some steps that are crucial and not known by a beginner.

Hopefully, this post will prevent others from falling into the same trap.

thehermit

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting the response I'm sure you won't be the first or last needing that solution :)

I didn't realise about it having to be a smart object, so handy to know if I ever need the filter.

thehermit

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Senility strikes, clicked on OP's link and forgot I already posted it Blush

DP

Stevekir

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I asked about this on another forum and was told that it is not necessary to make the image a smart object. I have just confirmed that, and a smart object is not needed. It must have been a gremlin around when the lighting controls did not appear earlier.

Patrick
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard, Stevekir. Like Mike said, thanks for sharing the solution here. :)

Patrick

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

thehermit

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And clarification :)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Manipulation All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: