PhotoshopForums.com Home
Navigate Contact FAQ Search Members
How to create a curvy opacity gradient effect ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> General Photoshop and Design Discussion
 See a User Guidelines violation? Please contact us.

ahmadka

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:20 am    Post subject: How to create a curvy opacity gradient effect ? Reply with quote

Hi guys ... I wanted to create an effect where a picture kind of disappears towards one side of the canvas. This alone is easy to do, I know. The thing I don't know how to do is, how do I make the 'line' curvy ?

Amazon uses this effect in their Main Menu pop-outs, to surround the Menu text with the background image.

For example, here is an example from Amazon.com:

If you observe, the line beyond which the image is virtually invisible, is curvy:

How can I apply this same effect to an image, you make it disappear around from text ?

thehermit

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put a layer mask on the image and then paint with black to hide or white to reveal the image (on the mask).

SCTRWD

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make a Shape Layer with White to Gradient Shape Burst outside Layer style.

thehermit

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What offends me in the image is the laziness of the person who left the hard edge of the photo on the left ;) That and what is that horizon doing? Tilted water? Aargh!

Rarity

PS Version: CS6

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thehermit wrote:
What offends me in the image is the laziness of the person who left the hard edge of the photo on the left ;) That and what is that horizon doing? Tilted water? Aargh!

Glad to hear I'm not the only one.

username27447

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi ahmadka, here is a little more detail. 2 methods.

Best Method: use a layer mask as stated above. When you first put the layer mask on the layer it will "show all" by default and the mask will be white. If you paint with black on the mask that will hide the parts of the image where the black is in the mask. For the soft edge use a large brush with a high soft setting.

Cheater method: put a new layer above your image and paint on that new layer using a large white brush with a high soft setting, blocking out the view of the image layer below.

Either method will work, but the layer mask is a bit cleaner since everything stays on the one layer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> General Photoshop and Design Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: