PhotoshopForums.com Home
Navigate Contact FAQ Search Members
64bit Native question
 See a User Guidelines violation? Please contact us.

OldSchoolPhoto

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:35 pm    Post subject: 64bit Native question Reply with quote

I want to purchase new Adobe software, probably the CS4 suite (I'm still chugging along with CS).

I have a 64bit machine (and OS) and want to run all of the products that are native 64bit that I can. I had an online chat with a fellow from the Adobe website earlier and it was a bit maddening, kind of like "who's on first". He kept telling me that I could install all Adobe products on 64bit Windows but couldn't grasp that I wanted to know which ones were 64bit native. Towards the end of the conversation he actually told me that I could install 64bit software on 32bit Windows. When I told him you couldn't she shot back:

"The software is built by Adobe and they are capable. You can install Adobe software of 64bit on 32bit OS"

I couldn't get a clear picture from Adobe so hopefully this forum can help clear up my questions.

If I buy CS4 suite
- Do I have to specify 32bit or 64bit?
- Does the media include 32bit and 64bit binaries for install on either platform? (for those 64bit supported applications)

Thank you

hawkeye

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd think Adobe would have the answers to your questions.

OldSchoolPhoto

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would think they would, but the Adobe person at the other end of the chat had no idea what 64bit was at first. He said that all of their software ran on 64bit, which is true, but didn't know that there was such thing as Native 64bit.

I pointed him to this link on their page http://www.adobe.com/products/creativesuite/production/pdfs/cs4_production_premium_64bit_wp.pdf and pointed out that Photoshop, After Effects, Premier Pro and Lightroom were 64bit native. He went away for a few minutes saying he needed to talk to someone and came back and just said "you are correct".

When I asked him the questions I just posted, he would only respond "You can install the products on both 32 bit or 64 bit OS." (I kept the Adobe chat transcript)

Neither he nor the people he would go away and consult with could answer my questions.

I am reluctant to spend the big $$ for the CS suite just winging it hoping that the apps that are native 64bit will have 64bit binaries on the media I purchase.

hawkeye

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you were going to buy it and they asked you to specify 32 or 64 bit, that should be the key.
If it's the same program and will install and run on either platform, they would have no reason to ask.
If there are two separate versions, one for 64 and one for 32 bit, then you would need to specify.

OldSchoolPhoto

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate the response, but I was wondering if there was someone on the forum who ran the products on 64bit OS natively could give me a definative answer.

When you buy the suite, it includes applications that they don't define as being available in 64bit native. Therefore they wouldn't ask you (and don't, I have walked through the purchase up to entering my visa info) if it was 32 or 64bit.

32bit can and does run on 64bit Windows and I want to make sure that I am able to purchase and run 64bit native apps.

I want to avoid making assumptions, I have been burned by that process before. Is there someone who runs 64bit Windows and 64bit apps who can help? Does the media contain installs for both 64bit and 32bit for those apps where it is supported?

Thank you

EvilCheeseWedge

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Photoshop CS4 includes both a 32-bit and a 64-bit executable. In other words, yes, it does have a native 64-bit application for Windows x64. When you install Photoshop it will create two program shortcuts, one for Photoshop CS4, and one for Photoshop CS4 (64 Bit) - the second shortcut launches the 64-bit executable which is a native 64-bit application. Windows Task Manager seems to confirm that it is really and truly a 64-bit program as it does not have a *32 suffix on it, which the regular Photoshop CS4 executable does have.

Also, a 64-bit application will not work in a 32-bit operating system. However, as far as I know, Potoshop is the only component of CS4 that has a 64-bit executable, which may be why the CSR isn't exactly providing accurate answers.

The best way to find out for yourself, of course, would be to download the trial, which I believe includes both (at least it should, I'm rocking the trial version on this computer, at any rate, and it has both.)

I hope that helps. :)

Patrick
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for joining and for answering that, James. I appreciate it. :)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

wave of light

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi - I have a 32 bit Vista rig at work. I installed CS4 on that, only get one exe for 32.

At home I have a 64bit 8gig rig. I installed it there and you get two exes 32 and 64 (as previously posted). I use 64 whenever I can, as this grabs all the RAM it can get it's hands on, so processes and workflow are quicker.

Hope this helps.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> Technical All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: