PhotoshopForums.com Home
Navigate Contact FAQ Search Members
How do I replace a color in photoshop cs4??
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> General Photoshop and Design Discussion
 See a User Guidelines violation? Please contact us.

anakin666

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:48 pm    Post subject: How do I replace a color in photoshop cs4?? Reply with quote

Hey everyone! I hope someone hears may know how to do this with photoshop :)

I would like to know how to REPLACE a color and not BLEND a color. So that would mean to take one specific color and replace it with one other specific color. The moderator at the adobe forums tried to help me with this link and said to set the fuzziness to 0:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/Photoshop/11.0/WSfd1234e1c4b69f30ea53e41001031ab64-7654a.html

Unfortunately it still blends the color and does not replace it. Here is an example of what I do and the result:

I go to IMAGES->REPLACE COLOR and select the color I want to replace; the quick mask preview window displays the color I want to replace correctly. I set the fuzziness to zero and on the bottom of the dialog box under REPLACEMENT, I click on RESULT and pick the color I want it changed to. After clicking ok it does NOT replace the color in fact it BLENDS the color.

Color I want to replace: RGB 255, 195, 57
Color I want to change to: RGB 255, 0, 255
The color photoshop produces: RGB 227, 51, 226.

That's ... I don't know what that is; I think its a blend or maybe its a bug with photoshop. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'll need to replace other colors in the future and I've been zooming in and replacing it pixel by pixel with the pencil tool.

cs4_replace_color1.jpg
 Description:
Here's a screenshot of what's happening.
 Filesize:  197.43 KB
 Viewed:  7976 Time(s)

cs4_replace_color1.jpg

neontester

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive just reproduced your results trying the same colours, and you are right, it seems to blend instead of replacing.

I tried it with some other colours with the same problem occurring.

Maybe its a bug or maybe theres another issue involved.

If you play with the sliders in the box, in this case dragging the lightness slider from -11 back to zero you will get a better result.

Of course you can always use select colour range then ctrl U instead, to do it manually, I did and had the correct result very quickly.

anakin666

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@neontester- First of all let me thank you for taking the time and reproducing what I did. With all the threads I wasn't expecting anyone to do that. Your solution worked perfectly and also being very fast, I really like it and appreciate your help. The adobe people didn't provide any solution that worked.

I think since probably most people use photoshop for ... well photos, that the blending is always welcomed. I understand I use PS for photos all the time but since I'm doing graphics right now it would be nice to do some of these what I thought were easy things compared to what photoshop can do to photos. The graphics library looks for a specific color 255,0,255 (the pink color) and makes it transparent which is very essential for making 2D games. If that color is blended it will not equal 255,0,255 and when you play the game there will be pink everywhere it blended it. Again thanks for reproducing what I did, replying to my thread, and providing a solution!

:)

neontester

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem.
I am really pleased it worked for you.

Patrick
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great job, neontester. :) Welcome to both of you. :)

Patrick

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

neontester

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Patrick, you have a nice site here, lots of interesting tips.

Patrick
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much, neontester. :) We have a great community.

Patrick

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PhotoshopForums.com Forum Index -> General Photoshop and Design Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: